Health & Family Is spending almost $200 per week on fitness too much?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Vassago, 16th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I think it's too much- I'm spending $45 a week on F45 and think that is too much, but I'm a tight arse. Can you do a HIIt class instead? Would be a lot cheaper and you don't need the gym membership $190 a week would be a heap Of cashflow in a good growth area if you had equity to buy again lol!

2. Vassago

Vassago Well-Known Member

I think I will continue as is until say September, at which time will complete the Max's 12 week Challenge with a mate (he has done it a few years ago and reckons I should do it) and drop the PT sessions. Sounds like work-outs are all prescribed and hopefully by then will know what I am doing a bit better in the gym or can work out with my mate.

The challenge got me reading about supplements (I prefer to eat healthy and not put any chemicals / drugs into my system) and then I had a chat to my PT about it. Sounds like a Whey Protein after workout and BCAA during workout may help my recovery. Currently I take up to 4 days to recover from a big session.

Trying to research the different options and brands but hard to know what to get (if any). Have used IsoWhey a few times in the past which was supposedly good (doesn't taste great though). Any pointers?

3. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that an Aussie kid launched protein water (I think it was going to be sold at Aldi) but he has a website he sells from. I'd consider giving it a go as protein powders taste like crap imo.

4. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

I haven't taken any supplements for quite a while except for Whey Protein Isolate.
    On Saturday I researched a bit to start supplementing for better performance as I'm training for sprinting and need as much out of my body as possible.
    Here's my new stack I'll be taking:

Daily vitamins / supplements

Morning:
    Multi vitamin x 1
    Vitamin C x 1
    Vitamin D x 1
    Fish Oil x 3
    Magnesium x 1
    Concentrated fruits/vegetables x 1
    Creatine x 1
    Beta Alanine x 3g
    Citrulline Malate x 6g (only on rest days).

Evening:
    Probiotics x 1
    Mega B+ x 1
    Vitamin D x 1
    Fish Oil x 3
    Concentrated fruits/vegetables x 1
    Magnesium x 1 (before bed no milk)
    Zinc x 1 (before bed no milk)

Pre workout:
    Pre workout 101 x 1 serving
    Beta Alanine x 3g
    Citrulline Malate x 3g
    Caffeine 100mg x 2

Post workout:
    BCAA x 1 serving (during or directly after)
    Citrulline Malate x 6g (during or directly after)
    L Gutamine x 5g (during or directly after)
    Creatine x 1
    Muscle Food 101 x 1 serving

Vitamins were from Chemist Warehouse and supplements from Bulk Nutrients.
    Brand name stuff is way overpriced and often contain unnecessary compounds in odd ratios.

Perthguy and BKRinvesting like this.
  5. scienceman

scienceman Well-Known Member

It seems very excessive to me. Why not take up a sport? The competition will give you all the motivation you need. I play tennis and it gives me a good 3 hrs of workout for $10 when we split the court cost. It gives me motivation to do some weights and push ups between matches too.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

spludgey, Phase2, Joynz and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ace in the Hole

Yeah, it comes out all fluoro and everything.
    At least my toilet will be healthy.

DaveM likes this.
  8. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

You can easily spend $200 a week on something you are not getting any benefit from.

It doesn't matter how much you make and what it's a percentage of. If you enjoy it keep doing it

Ace in the Hole and Perthguy like this.
  9. Ace in the Hole

Pretty much, this.

If you have to ask others' opinions on the matter, then you probably can't afford it to be honest.

Xenia likes this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Too much information.

11. Ace in the Hole

Perthguy likes this.
  12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I have low B12, so I take a daily supplement. I never looked into the fluro yellow thing but always assumed it was dye. I have no idea why I thought they put dye into vitamin B supplements! o_O

"The neon tint shows an excess of the B vitamin riboflavin leaving your body"
    Somehow makes more sense than my dye theory :oops:

13. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

another vote for Bulk Nutrients,
    I Just use protein post workout or sometimes with brekkie.
    Great honest, well priced Aussie company.

Perthguy likes this.
  14. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

Cost me nothing for fitness, I eat everything in moderation without any diet and I don't have any lifestyle issues like cholesterol, high blood pressure etc...

I walk when I can, I run for exercise a few times a week.
    I just build exercise into my routine, walk at lunch, run at lunch, bike to work when the weather is good etc..

coke no problem
    fat no issue
    pork with crackling magic.

all the bad stuff fitness people has been telling you about, most of them are just myth
    you can get vitamin D by just walking in the sun, vitamin C from Oranges and hundred of other vitamins from all other food source and it comes free as part of your diet, no need to pay $30 for a bottle of fish oil or vitamin D tablet :)

and dont get me started on super food :), there is no such thing, fruits and berries been around for millennia and it give you all sort of vitamins then all the sudden
    avocado is a super food, some berries found in some remote place oh super food :)
    what a scam

the key is input <= output, eat whatever you want as long as you exercise and get rid of the excess as simple as that

Joynz likes this.
  15. Ace in the Hole

Yeah, but everyone's different...

16. Ace in the Hole

Here's a non-dairy protein drink in cola and lemonade flavor - Future Whey is redefining what protein shakes taste like
    Future Whey

17. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

18. RS Gumby

RS Gumby Well-Known Member

I'm not a tight arse but I don't directly spend on exercise.
    I now buy expensive ( to me ) Hoka runners where as in the past I didn't and my body took a while to get over that mistake.
    I have done a lot of long distance running over the years coupled with Gym workouts.
    I have invested in Gym equipment at home so no need to pay and drive somewhere and listen to loud Doof Doof music when working out.
    So Vassago I reckon once you get the discipline into your fitness regime you can slowly drop the other activities that cost you. However, you may like the social aspect of the group sessions - I never did.

Interesting to see Aces' supplement regime
    I take the following daily;
    Creatine
    Glutamine
    Magnesium
    Calcium
    Vit d
    Vit c
    Aspirin
    Iron
    Mega b
    Omega 3

Like others have posted if you don't earn much then $190 a week may be excessive but there's nothing better than being fit and healthy - makes you feel a whole lot better in yourself. You'll also have a brighter outlook on life - I find that anyway

Vassago - keep pluggin away mate!

19. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Might cost you nothing to get by, but elite sportsmen and sportswomen get many benefits from optimal nutrition. To sprout that its all a 'scam' is plain ignorance.

pinkboy

BKRinvesting likes this.
  20. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I think @PandS was claiming that superfoods are a scam. I would be inclined to agree with that. Beetroot is a "superfood" because it rich in antioxidants, fibre and Vit C. Oranges are not a "superfood" but they are also rich in fibre and Vit C. Marketing hype?

Superfoods are mostly plant based but can include fish, dairy and seeds thought to be nutritionally dense. According to Global Industry Analysts, the global market for superfoods is expected to reach $130 billion this year.

[Example]

Goji berries are red berries grown and harvested in China, and have been part of traditional Chinese medicine for centuries. Goji berries are eaten in dried or juiced form. These berries are high in B vitamins and supposedly boost immunity, prevent heart disease and improve life expectancy.

However, the British Dietetic Association argues that one must drink at least 13 servings of goji berry juice to get as many antioxidants as one would get by eating a large red apple.

Still, some consumers insist on spending as much as $15 a pound for goji berries while a pound of large Red Delicious apples cost only $1.50.

Experts say superfoods may be a super scam – The Daily Universe