Health & Family Is spending almost $200 per week on fitness too much?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Vassago, 16th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vassago

Vassago Well-Known Member

I currently spend $190 per week on fitness and it is a lot of money. However I don't really want to stop any.

Broken up as follows:

$110pw - 2 x PT sessions. Recently started but big improvements already noted, shoulder/neck issues due to computer work getting better (stopped seeing physio, chiro & rememdial massage).
    $60pw - 4 x 45min games of indoor beach volley ball. Social, good fun and good exercise.
    $20pw - Gym membership (PT sessions are at the gym).

PT was justified to myself as it was instead of other treatments which weren't working.

The scrooge says it is too much but really my health is more important than saving an extra few $$.

Thoughts?

Gladys and Ace in the Hole like this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It depends. If you only earn $300 per week it may be a bit much, but if you earn $1900 it is only 10%

Phantom and Hodge like this.
  3. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Title misleading. You are spending those funds on health not merely fitness. The PT sessions should gradually revert to self management via a home based graduated exercise regime.
    Health is the first wealth.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

@Ace in the Hole would say no - never too much :D

But if it's achieving what you need and you aren't overdoing it ... and you can afford it ... why not?

Ask a keen cyclist how much they spend on their bikes! @pinkboy ??

Bayview, Bran, Redwing and 2 others like this.
  5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

@Vassago I am a total scrooge but I say no, not too much. I have lived in constant pain and it really reduces quality of life. In my case, a relatively modest investment in a weekly pilates class was what it took to get me out of pain.

It's an investment. Once you reach a certain level you can drop back to one PT session a week if you think.

6. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

It sounds like more than just fitness, it's a lifestyle, self improvement and also social activity by the souds of it, so it's not too much to spend.

Much better than spending $200 a week on cigarettes and alcohol !

7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

100%!
    Me, I don't spend much on fitness but I play volleyball once a week (it was twice a week until recently) and I will start the Chinese pole classes again on Monday after seeing my video from 4 years back and spotting a Groupon type offer.
    The volleyball actually pays for itself as I manage the comp... :)

I would desperately love Parramatta Council to put free outdoor fitness equipment on the banks of the Parramatta River at Parramatta, I'd be a user of it most days possibly...

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

But he then doesn't spend money on fitness only KFC ;)

A bike is an investment

Last edited: 16th Jun, 2017
  9. Vassago

Vassago Well-Known Member

True it is health, mental & physical, not just fitness.

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Konn

Konn Well-Known Member

To me yes because you could do most of it yourself.

Bayview and wylie like this.
  11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

After a while you might want to drop the PT down to 1 or none when you have good form, knowledge and ability to do it yourself. But when starting out it's a good idea to have that extra encouragement, ensuring your form is correct to prevent injury and challenge you not to give up.

Perthguy likes this.
  12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

BTW most PTs will give you a discount for buying a chunk of their time and make sure you use that time wisely. Go 15 mins before your session and do warm up on treadmill, do 30mins of PT and then do 15 more mins on treadmill/crosstrainer and stretches by yourself.

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

He's buying a friend

14. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yeah too much. Yes to gym membership and indoor volleyball if that's your thing but surely you can manage without the PT. Just replace it with 4x a week 10-20 min HIIT sessions by yourself.

15. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Even if you can do the training yourself, not everybody will.

I pay a guy about $120/week for 2 x 30 min Skype training sessions. I can't do it myself and find it extremely difficult to get motivated when on my own. But when I pay a trainer, I give my best efforts every time and push more than I would if I were on my own with no accountability.

Most high level professional athletes would know how to train themselves, but most still pay coaches to train them.

radson and vbplease like this.
  16. el caballo

el caballo Well-Known Member

I vaguely recall you had a few NRAS in the kit. They will pay for it - the health benefits will reward you multiple fold in every dimension. You'll likely make more money as a result!

17. 158

158 Well-Known Member

KFC is an investment! ;)

pinkboy
    I'm over the 'spend 20,000 pesos on a bike and kit' however it's pretty easy to spend that type of $ on bikes and gear. I only ride a $1,500 bike at the moment purely because I haven't managed to break it so far. I'm notorious for breaking carbon frames!

I am currently in Brisbane for 5 days for my daughter Kona to try and make the state netball team. It's not even half way through the year and I reckon I have spent well in excess of $10,000 for her netball so far this year - travel, accommodation, several pairs of shoes, chiropractor, physio, training gear, game fees, various other fees, etc. So we are up around the $400 per week so far easily. Plus we have State Age Championships next month.

All this for a 12yo :eek:.

So spending $$$ on health, fitness and wellbeing is money well spent in my book.

Here is a photo of Kona with the Sydney Giants who are in the grand final tomorrow night! We have court side seats! Very exciting. The ladies were all lovely and were really interested to talk to us.

IMG_1092.jpg

pinkboy

Perthguy, samiam and sanj like this.
  18. Luckycharm

Luckycharm Well-Known Member

Hi @Vassago Ive got a pretty high level of commitment to excercise - Im too cheap to part with a cent but I train at least once a day (unless sick...grr winter bugs...)

What is the point of having assets that will support you into perpetuity if you dont have an extremely long and happy life? Fitness is key to this *bicep flex*

legallyblonde likes this.
  19. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Health is you number 1 asset so spare no expense imo.

Its all relative to your disposable income and other goals you want to achieve.

You can spend $0 and still be healthy.

wylie, Sackie and 158 like this.
  20. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

If you enjoy it who cares what it costs. Cheaper than ill health and a quadruple bypass

Baker, Sackie, samiam and 2 others like this.