Is selling a domain name taxable?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Ari, 8th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ari

Ari New Member

Hello,

Long story short. I bought a domain name back in 2015 for around 12k USD (17k AUD). Now a company wants to buy my domain name for 40K USD. Do i have to pay CGT on this or any other tax i am unaware of? Cheers in advance.

Ari

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Likely taxable as ordinary income. Also how was the original $12K dealt with ? It should have been a deferred asset. Need to explore the original basis and intentions.
    Perhaps even GST applies. But could be a CGT asset (right) even. If its both the ordinary income prevails.
    Worth seeking advice.

Reason I say the above is based on USE of a domain. Squatting is generally not economically viable and a objection could be made to strip it and its potentially a CGT right BUT if it relates in any way to your business and is offloaded its income and a taxable supply. In some instances small business CGT concessions could apply but are very hard to meet for just sale of a domain and not more. eg Is it really "active" ?

3. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Would a domain name be part of intellectual property?

4. Ari

Ari New Member

Thanks mate. The domain was inactive since it was purchased and was parked and never carried any business on it.

5. Ari

Ari New Member

Is it? For me it is, but I don't know...