Is Russia on the verge of invading Ukraine?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sackie, 15th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Will Russia invade?

Poll closed 26th May, 2022.
  1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    55.1%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. Don't know

9 vote(s)
    18.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yes?

No?

If yes, how do you see this playing out?

2. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

I don't think they have reason to.
    Biden has many reasons for headlines including him saying he will decide on the pipeline from Russia to Germany.
    Russia just needs a contested border, and they've had it for years.
    Biden need distractions for all the corruption and incompetence finally coming out which somehow the msm manage to still ignore.

MTR and Noobieboy like this.
  3. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

No,Russia has has witnessed that strength has been met with strength so Russia will slink off saying it was only a game and the game is over.

David_SYD likes this.
  4. Piston_Broke

They said weeks ago they were conducting military exercises.
    Your Wednesday Briefing: Russia’s Military Drills
    The US Dems just ran with it while Ukrain PM was saying the opposite...until they talk with Biden.

5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I think the only chance the Ukraine has is if they can parachute 100’s of crates of vodka somewhere near the Belarus border and just watch the stampede away from the Ukrainian border.

Sackie likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'm thinking similar.

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yeah you'd think so. Surely its not in Russia's best interest to start a war where both sides would take heavy losses. I also cant imagine Putin going to war would be a popular decision among his own citizens.

8. David_SYD

David_SYD Well-Known Member

You’re viewing it from an outsider and only reading Western-orientated news articles. This is quite a shallow summary (don’t take that the wrong way, no offence intended) of how Russia view a perceived threat.

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

No offence taken at all. I'm a tough bird.

Whats your view ? What kind of threat does Russia see Ukraine as? Are you suggesting Russia has legitimate reasons to invade them? Just curious to know what others think.

Last edited: 16th Feb, 2022
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I answered "Don't know" because my option want available ... there will be skirmishes, there will be a brief "invasiion" by Russia that will be sharply pulled back (sadly with loss of life), but nothing full scale.

The reasons for the border chest beating is complicated and multi faceted.

Putin dose not want Ukraine to join NATO, and a country with a disputed border is not permitted to join ... other NATO members also cannot station troops in a non member country (very few of the troops sent are in Ukraine, but posed in nearby NATO countries)

Russia's main export is fossils (50%) in a world that is moving rapidly from fossils ... yes, I know they have/are building gas pipelines but the writing is on the wall ... and they are desperate to force the west back to the negotiating table

Putin's popularity is declining rapidly. Nothing like a war to distract the mob, although this doesn't appear to be working as many is Russia see this as unnecessary.

Putin made all sorts of rash financial promises to the oligarchs who back him, in regards to trump and the is U.S., which he can no longer fulfill ... and wars are profitable for those that hold the cheque books

Russia wants to appear a "near peer" on the world stage but it hasn't the financial resources to maintain such ... etc etc and I'm sure there are many nuances we're not even aware of

China is watching with interest, with its own thoughts on Taiwan, but won't help Putin - two different forms of communism, they have little in common other than enemy of my enemy is my friend

Observer, wylie, skater and 3 others like this.
  11. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

I agree. A full-scale invasion is unlikely but something more limited is probably a lot more likely, combined with a barrage of cyber attacks. Putin is about seventeen steps ahead of the US and Europe on this, he's playing them like a fiddle because he knows he has impunity unless he goes all out.

12. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I would have thought that if you were going to do it, you'd invade Ukraine at the same time as China invades Taiwan.

But as others have mentioned, all I am seeing is western media. I am sure that things are far more intricate and complicated than is being portrayed to us...

Lizzie and Sackie like this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Always is the case I reckon.

wylie and hammer like this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Cyber attack today on Ukraine government departments and major banks ... this is the "war" platform of the future when you consider how easily they took down a major U.S. oil pipeline recently

Also, the fbi recently undertook an in-depth investigation and learnt that, on major political and social issues around 90% of social media posts/comments/ disinformation are either bots or Igor in his basement ... important to remember when there "appears" to be outrage or support for something that in reality a minority

wylie likes this.
  15. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I voted don't know as it would not work out well for either side as I been watching the price of oil and a few other item's on the list and none apart from Oil seem to be moving upwards ..
    And it won't worry the USA one percent as under the last person in charge with back up oil reserves and linked Canadian supply chains their virtually self sufficient..
    Myself I just think it's a bluff ,or at least I hope so as mother Russia may not have the military hardware to match NATO..

16. Piston_Broke

17. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

As if dealing with religious extremism inn the last decade wasn't enough (and that problem is ever present), now these quasi despots want to start a war....possibly a world war?

They need to be removed from power by their own people...stat.

18. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

What’s they point of expanding NATO to the Russian border? Pwease

Let’s chillax, Anglo Saxons don’t have the god given privilege to tell everyone what to do.

If anything. Seems like Russia doesn’t want to do anything. They are probably sitting there and wondering what’s all the fuss about.

Russia will invade tomorrow. Have been hearing this for last 2 weeks.

19. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

The only thing holding them back thus far are the potential ramifications.

wylie likes this.
  20. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Such an absolute statement. The more I learn the less I realise I know. The only thing that’s holding “them” is the fact that majority of Russians don’t see the need for war. Not some stupid “ramifications”. Or Anglo Saxon threats.

As if sanctions would do anything. Even European leaders, other than the good ol UK, are looking at all this media hysteria with disbelief

Last edited: 21st Feb, 2022
    David_SYD and Lizzie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.