NSW Is Riverstone a good suburb to buy house

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by kriti, 10th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

Riverstone or Schofields

1. R

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. S

16 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. kriti

kriti New Member

We are first home buyers.

Is Riverstone a good area to go for land & House package deals? Our price range is $750K..

• Child care is also potential question?
    • My kid would be going to school in next 4 years, so i am also thinking are schools in the area good?
    • What are the prospects of development of this area?

TIA

Last edited: 10th Jul, 2016
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Have a look at the Blacktown Council website for planned land releases, road upgrades, storm water improvements, flood mitigation etc.

Check out myschools website or talk to locals (not all of them have two heads).

kriti likes this.
  3. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

Riverstone is too far. Aren't you getting any good options in schofields? The amount that you would be spending there, you can negotiate at the same amount in below suburbs.

Quakers hill, kings park, woodcroft, blacktown, girraween, wentworthville (to a lesser extent now), st marys, seven hills, pemulwuy, kingswood, greystanes (mostly apartments).

Just keep your options open and be ready to adjust on few of the things, there is nothing that a good reno can't do in a right price in future.

You have also not listed the price range you are looking at.

Regards

4. kriti

kriti New Member

Thanks for the info Ashish. Our price range is $750K.

5. ashish1137

Oooo, thats a very good price range, i would strongly recommend you have a thorough look in these suburbs.there will be more.

One would not want to take these suburbs into account because these dont have a train station and as per me, that should be one of the criterias but should not be the only criteria.

Longer term an additional car can be used and parked somewhere near the station. Older suburbs are way more established. You can even target a townhouse/ unit in girraween. Awesome suburb but not a proper house. It depends on what you are targeting.

Blacktown will have ample options. The problem is, if you are looking for a brand new, you are paying a premium. My thinking is to avoid that premium and buy 5 - 10 year old property. Later get it renovated as per your likings.

Listing some decent options:

1. Westmead: I feel it is good value as compared to other similar properties. You also get 321 options at marginally more cost.

Address available on request Westmead NSW 2145

2. 2A/179 Reservoir Road Blacktown NSW 2148

3. Quakers Hill NSW 2763

4. 4/4-8 Murray St Northmead NSW

5. 3/37-39 Windsor Road Kellyville NSW 2155

6. 103b Summerfield Avenue Quakers Hill NSW 2763

These are some of the examples that I have picked from a couple of suburbs in vicinity of parramatta and blacktown. You need to do more deeper analysis on area and other stuff.

Regards

Last edited: 10th Jul, 2016
  6. rooster123

rooster123 Well-Known Member

Searching on Riverstone in this forum there is not really positive outcome. Even if the property is not flooded but if the road I cut off then yes it's not going to be convenient either. I guess that's one of the risk which can cause the bank valuation to be lower. My recommend to stay clear from that notorious area and Quakers hill as well. Not a big fan of Blacktown either given the number of crimes and reputation of schools (only good thing is transport from there).

As others suggested, go elsewhere, perhaps for 750k goto Seven Hills closer to M2/M7.

kriti likes this.
  7. ashish1137

Hi @rooster123

With due respect, can you please let me know what extra crimes have you seen in areas like blacktown and quaker hill?

Also, what issue you see with respect to schools in blacktown (i know they are not the best but they are not worst either)?

Regards

8. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Look at the previous forum www.somersoft.com/forums

9. AAA2214

AAA2214 Well-Known Member

In Quakers hill, you still can get a good house in your price range. Look at the newer side of Quakers hill near Farnham roads shops or Barnier public school

10. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Have you been to either? Why are you looking there?
    I believe it's pronounced "rivo" and "skoey" :p

kriti likes this.
  11. rooster123

I lived in Rivo and my house got broken into with property stolen just a couple of months ago. In the house we live in now we've also had people run across our lawn to hide from cops during a riot on our street where the riot squad was called(we live on a corner block near a roundabout), our fence grafitti'd, glue poured down the lock to our gate so it couldn't be opened, my housemates car broken into and attempted to be stolen, as well as it's bonet jumped on by drunken youths walking past late one night. And we don't even live in the housing commission area!

Check out the Riverstone & Schofields community Facebook group if you want an idea of what it's like to live here straight from the residents mouths. I'm always hearing about thefts and noisy youths/cars on there.

bob shovel likes this.
  12. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Riverstone is a high crime area and schofield isn't going to be much different. Forget about schools, almost all schools in Hills/Blacktown area are crap with the exception of one in Baulkham Hills.

Use your budget to buy a unit in inner west if schools and raising kids is a concern. You can't live in freestanding houses and send kids to good schools at the same time in this budget.

rooster123 likes this.
  13. standtall

Robberies, stabbings, break ins are very common. Check the crime statistics.

Schools are actually the worst - check the my school website and compare them against NSW average. They are only marginally better to some bush schools.

rooster123 likes this.
  14. kriti

kriti New Member

Thank You everyone for your valuable inputs. Seems like we need to do some more homework about choosing a location.

15. standtall

If you come from a migrant background, I will particularly advise against Riverstone. Most of the robberies are aimed at Indian families because of the perception that they keep gold jewellery in their homes.

16. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Indian keeps their gold, but what's that got to do with Riverstone?

17. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I keep my gold jewellery in a secure lock box in the bank, it's a pain when going to the discos but i don't want anyone to mistake my house for an Indian house! Where do you keep your bullions?

standtall likes this.
  18. standtall

I attached all my gold to an email and saved it as a draft in gmail... Very safe i reckon ;)

L3ha7 and ashish1137 like this.
  19. rooster123

I send it to Nigerian billionaires who try send me their millions via email invites/scam.

20. ashish1137

All gold in a locker in India. I dont need here. :D:p

Your Nigerian billionaires also offer me. Now I know it is tour money.:p

rooster123 likes this.