Is privacy important ?

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 22nd Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg Is privacy important when buying an IP?

Does it lower values if your neighbours can see in through your windows or backyard?

Both picture examples I gave here where the neighbour can see in your backyard through your back windows, its probaly fixable after building a new higher fence to some degree or privacy screens.

The second picture is of a house that has been on the market for about 6 months in Newcastle NSW.
    As you can see by the older style house the next door neighbours window can see everythung you do.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd say privacy is important. Many problems can be fixed by planting or screening. For example, creened, in your top photo if I lived in the house I'd plant an appropriate shrub or tree that will fill the space where they look into my yard from whatever windows overlook my yard.

Edit: That is a pool that has been filled in by the looks of it. How strange. Also, that particular back yard is so uninviting that I cannot imagine anyone even venturing outside. I'm sure if it is for sale, the issues will be addressed and they will most definitely take a hit in the selling price for having made no effort to put even a seating area or shade in there. So, for this yard, privacy is less an issue than it just being uninviting.

In that second photo, I'm unsure what is going on there. If that photo shows two houses, why is there decking joining them with a gate? Where is the dividing fence. I'd say that setup is very unusual and if one house is selling, then they would do better to change it to create a fence.

Have you looked closely at the listing and sure this is two separate houses?

3. Darlinghurst Boy

Yes this is the house next door.. My only thinking is that being older style houses the fence line is where the next door neighbours house is.

Bran likes this.
  4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe look at the way the pool has been filled in,and the way that deck is set up facing the street and contrasted with reality,you would have zero private time in a set-up like this and you could be walking into a real mess,investment wise..imho..

5. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

I think that a certain level of privacy is essential for most people. Personally I like total privacy and have ensured that my neighbours cannot see into my back yard. and I cannot see into theirs.

Random Username likes this.
  6. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

I've seen many great privacy screen ideas in my travels, and I agree that it can be a huge factor in buyer's decisions. One recent example, which I thought was ingenious, was this shadecloth screen (doubled over and anchored to fence) with a trellis for greenery to eventually create a planting border. The client didn't want to watch her neighbours in their pool (and vice versa) so this was the solution. It looks far less drastic than a solid wall (eg: timber/colourbond) and presents a softer solution to what is a real problem for those buyers who prefer their privacy in suburban living. IMG_2620.JPG

wylie likes this.
  7. Darlinghurst Boy

Wow .. That is a big privacy screen.. Hate to see the cost of putting that up, mind you it gets the job done .:D

The pics i posted are 2 separate houses .

8. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Privacy issue in the yard with the filled in pool is easily fixed by strategically planting some bushes where the neighbours windows are located.

Don't understand the deck between the two houses. It's unlikely that it's a zero lot line style property. Might be an agreement between the owners of the houses to share the deck.

9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Don't worry about the cost, it looks cheap to me......it also would be illegal in most places I know of.

pommy likes this.
  10. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Privacy laws prevent me from answering the question.

Gingin and dabbler like this.
  11. pommy

pommy Well-Known Member

Yep. Just grow some Leighton Greens!

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia