ASX Shares Is now the time to buy ANZ Bank shares?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 5th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. andrew_t

andrew_t Well-Known Member

When i first setup my SMSF fund in 2014 i bought ANZ shares when they were at $36 because as advised at the time "just get bank shares to start with" for long term growth, dividend payments and compounding effect. I also had no idea what i was doing.

At the same time i bought CBA shares when they were $94... any day where they are trading below these values is a bargain to me and will continue to buy :rolleyes:

tvadera likes this.
  2. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

Without pulling up a chart and just doing a simple visual line of resistance, I can see that about $30 is possible........though, it has looks like resistance level as well. Something needs to throw it over the line. Be it a stronger than expected economy, a takeover, whatever.......or it will hit resistance and fail.

More exact numbers than about $30 needs me to pull up a chart......as well as reading about what is happening with ANZ.

If I was trading, I wouldn't care about what's happening. I'd take the differential between here and now ........and the resistance line and be happy with the profit I made. Who cares about long term viability.

Bran likes this.
  3. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

eeek...I was the same, let the financial advisor just go with it. I had no idea about shares. Luckily I haven't experienced those levels of losses. However, I question everything they propose now.
    I'm happy to pay for the privilege, as I am far from an expert about these things. But educate yourself about what they propose, otherwise it's just as much your fault as it is theirs.

4. ross100

ross100 Well-Known Member

I will wait till $16 to buy..

5. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

I am hesitant myself to go near banks for a few reasons right now:

- Yields likely to fall as requirements to keep higher capital ratios due to Basel IV.

- Profits likely to be smaller as the biggest property markets Sydney and Melbourne slows, and lending demand tapers.

- International (and some local) perception that we are due for a large property correction. True or not, that is the word being passed around many of the large investment firms/banks, all of which invest strongly in Australia. Shorts will be keener than longs.

Skilled_Migrant and Foxy Moron like this.
  6. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

I think this time next year you will see ANZ shares back up to $30

Ozzie in Texas likes this.
  7. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

Only a month until dividend as well so will get a decent return for holding that long at least.

Ozzie in Texas likes this.
  8. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

Playing for dividends, as long as you get in at a decent level, is a great move. A month before......or at lows is a good move. It counter balances the losses when it goes ex-divvie.....as there are a ton of others doing exactly the same thing. So, you need to make sure you got in a decent price.

A superficial glace at the charts posted here, it looks like a decent risk/reward play. I don't see anything major on the world index coming up in the next month that should upset the play.

Oil is currently ok. World crisis are ok/in-hand. No major elections. Markets are relatively stable....with no markets crashing. Currencies, likewise.

9. tvadera

tvadera Well-Known Member

5% up from my purchase price, happy with it. Waiting to get close to 10% for flog it off. I believe asx would be range bound for a while 4700-5200. Its struggling to go either ways, however chances of going rolling down is higher as one big bad news like a bank in crises would get the ball rolling.

Eyeing few more trading oppr.

10. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Andrew, this sounds a bit awkward. Why don't you ask your "advisor", and I use the term loosely, to lunch, somewhere nice, and they can pay, and ask them:-

1. If they know how lucrative a long term advisory business relationship can be, and

2. If an off market transfer, at the same advised price, from your fund to them, would be in order in due course, and if they could get the paperwork organised promptly.

11. Hidare

Hidare Active Member

My recently acquired shares(ANZ, CBA) are going up from last two days. Let me know when you sell it. The realized profit is better than paper gain.

12. radson

radson Well-Known Member

I topped up some NAB. Just like BHP a couple of months ago, headlines screaming doom and gloom in a sector are a magnet for me.

charpj likes this.
  13. tvadera

Hi,

Up 10% from purchase price, I am planning to keep it as of now for long term. If it crosses 26 may be tempted.

Kicking myself for missing out on SHV, 30% up from my purchase order

14. Hidare

Hidare Active Member

I will get 9% gain of ANZ if I sell it today. Follow your hint - keep it for long term.

15. Intrigued_again

Intrigued_again Well-Known Member

Great hint
    Ours are up 875% from purchase price, but now pays a little under 200% in income every year.

16. tvadera

Hi,

What time did u enter? Based on nod it looks like ur purchase price would be between 2-3$, else it's dividend reinvested or bought during rights issue?

It goes to show power of holding blue chips for long term.

My play on stock market is long term hold on Lic and etf, stocks got some long term holds, rest mostly churn at double digit gains

17. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

I was the one who told you ALL about the ANZ shares !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

Block chain is expected to be a major disruption to banking model in the future (Think bitcoin and P2P)
    Blockchain technology to hit bank profits
    Block chain (database) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

19. tvadera

All I can say is thanks. You started the thread, for that coffee shout from me if you are in Melb

I was aware of the stock anyways, let me know if you other stocks up your sleeve that u want to get it out in open

20. Intrigued_again

Intrigued_again Well-Known Member

Entered along time ago started early 90's, it was 975% not 875% but that's only share price itself, its actual 3500% but the real number is the little under 200% income with most of the tax paid.
    Not with ANZ, most the distance was with CBA much more diversified now.