Is Networking Under rated?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by MTR, 17th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Ok. I need more info on the "crab" mentality!
    Edit: Google is my friend.
    Screenshot_2017-06-24-09-17-22.png
    "Crab mentality, sometimes referred to as crabs in the bucket (also barrel, basket or pot), is a way of thinking best described by the phrase, "if I can't have it, neither can you." The metaphor refers to a bucket of crabs."

Last edited: 24th Jun, 2017
    virgo likes this.
  2. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

I'm a bit of a combination of these. I don't like networking as I get nervous (and therefore become a blabbermouth). I think I'll take on @D.T.'s approach. Now where's that network thread....

Networking on the jobs front is the hardest for me - how to maintain networks, past the casual coffee once in a while, to requesting 'I need x, can you help me'. I suppose building and maintaining those networks is the first step... Rome wasn't built in a day....

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Perhaps do something like airbnbing, you'd gain people skills, management skills, customer service skills and become better and more comfortable with human interaction and communication overall?

Otherwise find a hobby you can do with other people.

Chris Au likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Just throwing a cat amongst the pigeons:)

We all know investors are a very passionate lot, always curious with these meet ups, could there be an ego problem, too many investors in one room. Not saying there is? Just curious.

Beano likes this.
  5. Chris Au

Could be.. depends on the personalities. I find the room tends to separate into those who like to talk numbers and those who talk strategy and what others are doing, rather than the outcomes.

You tend to learn more by listening... great being a fly on the wall sometimes.

Sackie and MTR like this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Interesting, I would like to be a fly on the wall too. Lol

7. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Hey @Beano, I, and I'm sure a bunch of other PChatters, find this post really interesting.

Can you elaborate a bit, but in a non-identifying way, of course...

What do you do, quite seriously, with $1mil, and in contrast, $13mil a year?

After houses, cars, boats, is philanthropy (not withstanding the Appco (The charity millionaires ) issues currently..) something well considered, or something else?

Note that in no way do I want you to think I'm prying, as it's more an interest in your motivation.

8. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Well the interesting thing is I am currently cf- (due to compulsory principal repayments)
    So technically i have no cash available

Ted Varrick likes this.
  9. Ted Varrick

Good call.

:)

Can someone pass me a tissue, I'm tearing up a little...?

Hosko likes this.
  10. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

I was going to tell you about my tax bill but I just cannot bear to see a grown man cry (especially someone like you ... ) :)

Scott No Mates and Hosko like this.
  11. Ted Varrick

Apart from the above tissue requisition, I haven't cried for a long while, unless you might consider an unfortunate HEAT ordering mistake from (a business who I have no association with, but their chicken is excellent...)

Belles Hot Chicken – Restaurant

I admit that I shouldnt have ordered the 5th one by accident...

12. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I'm extensively networked around Adelaide, I know a lot of people, attend a lot of events, run a lot of events and do at least 2 one to one meetings every week with people I have not met before. It's a huge component of what I do.

My key driver is getting to know people and seeing if I or anyone I know is able to help them with their business. The key to success is genuinely helping people - even competitors.

It's seeing what you can give rather than what you can take.

MTR, Sackie and Ted Varrick like this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I gotta find me the corner for those who like to talk girls..:oops:

Chris Au likes this.
  14. Tom Simpson

Tom Simpson Well-Known Member

I love networking.

I love people, love finding out about them and love helping solve their problems. Quite often this involves connecting them with someone I know who can help them, sometimes it's me who can help them.

I get a genuine buzz out of helping people in this fashion.

MTR and Sackie like this.
  15. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

I like the chats where there's two Listeners... and neither want to talk or simply want to hear what others have on their mind (in relation to the market and opportunities).

A: "I'm here to lurk, just like on the forum"
    B: "... Keep talking"
    A: "I'm gonna run away now"
    B: "uh huh"

16. Chris Au

mmm... doesn't happen too much at the meet-ups I'm usually at... people are usually talking over each other either about who has the biggest numbers or ...... ,or who knows who, or....

will have to find those 2 listeners, lurking around the edges until their first drink is empty....

Zoolander likes this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Back to networking.

How's this working for you?

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Bump
    Just networked with someone who is killing it..... just a timely reminder how you can grow wealth by piggy backing on the knowledge of others who are doing what you want to achieve. Its a two way street, don't expect people to share if we are not prepared to work for it.

Of course it can always work the other way if you network with duds..... No duds on PC;)

Hosko likes this.
  19. d3outguncom

d3outguncom Well-Known Member

I coach lots of introverted executives on this. Imagine switching it.. rather than thinking about "I need this, can you help me", imagine constantly looking out for things that can be helpful to others.

Of course, first you need to know "what" others would find helpful. A number of ways to do this - ask them, make assumptions based on their role, read up on the work they're prioritising, etc.

Then, in the normal course of events, when you come across something that might be helpful to them - a new technology, another contact, a mutual client, etc. - you can contact them and say "Hey, I came across "X". and it made me think about the (project you're working on, things you've said you're struggling with, challenges people in your kind of role are experiencing at the moment. etc.), and thought it might be helpful to you.

This does 2 things: it shows you are interested in more than just helping yourself, and it shows you are aware of their issues.

This is how you become a valuable member of other people's networks, and have them WANT to have you be part of theirs.

Hope that helps.

NHG and Beginner1 like this.
  20. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

Going by some previous posts, it seems they feel networking is about trying to get more from someone, than you are willing to give back.

I find it interesting. For me 'networking' comes relatively naturally.
    Not weird at all. Perhaps because (for me) it's the same process as making a friend you want to be friends with.

ONE LIFE

upload_2021-3-11_19-43-57.png

Why spend it with people you don't enjoy spending time with.
    There have been many opportunities to do business with 'sharks' and 'bull-dogs'.
    The journey just didn't seem like much fun.

So I gravitate towards people who's presence I do enjoy.
    We talk about travel, kids, family. That time we panicked talking to that attractive woman / man. Making plans to get ripped at the gym, then sharing a photo of the crunchy-ball hot-chocolate we had a few hours later.

10 years later... during a conversation far-far-away.

Then one day they say, "Sorry i've been MIA, have been under the pump, I'm struggling to find a reliable labourer".
    "Oh really? I happen to have a hard-working, trustworthy friend who's looking for a change."

"Brooooo. Please send me their details. It's crazy, our marketing girl has been killing it, and is bringing in so much work".
    "Interesting. 'Pedro' was saying he needs a part time marketing person, but can't afford one full time. Open to splitting the cost for a couple of months while you catch-up?"

"That would be fantastic. Actually, I have some spare cash with all the work if you know of any opportunities"
    "Seriously? 'Luciana' was running short on funds to finish her development, you should give her a call"

upload_2021-3-11_19-42-16.png

etc. etc. etc.

Nurture these relationships over the years and you may end up with a super tight, high-integrity, awesome network. Making things happen becomes a casual conversation.

You may even surprise yourself how awesome it is.
    Last 14 days alone:

1. Wife's hairdresser cutting her hair in our living room. 'I'm looking to do something different'. Next day starts work for my neighbour's private-lending firm (met him 3 times in the elevator).

2. I mention the story to another neighbour in the elevator, turns out he needs the services provided by first neighbours firm.

3. One of my staff is wanting to do more marketing. Seconded to a mate for 6 months who's business has gone gangbusters during Covid.

4. Replaced staff with a tenant looking for more work. New girl mentions she wants to do more as an architect. Next day, agent calls saying we've been approved for a commercial premises for mate no.3 (call him Pepe). She will assist in the interior design, and construction of the fit-out.

5. Mentor wants a property manager for a new place. Hire's my part-time property manager who was looking for more work.

6. And many, many more. Hourly almost.

Super casual conversations, and sometimes it pays back.
    'Pepe' cut me into the commercial deal I helped broker. With opportunity to expand it.
    $1-4k/wk additional income. No-money down, effort required is a few phone calls to agents I've been having coffee with every other month for a couple of years.

Trying to broker those opportunities from scratch, with a person you just met. That would feel like a real up-hill battle. I wouldn't know what they need, I wouldn't know what to offer. Would feel so salesy.

Making friends, with people you like spending time with over a weekend BBQ. So much more enjoyable.

Attached Files:

geoffw, Perthguy and Sackie like this.