Is my renovation budget realistic? Sydney PPOR

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Jmillar, 20th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Looking at buying a PPOR at the moment and there are a few properties I'm considering which are circa 20 years old and are liveable but I'd want to do some work to them over time.

I've only ever done renos in Logan QLD so really have no idea it will cost to do a reno in Sydney (other than that it will be a LOT more expensive). I'd be looking to use fairly good quality stuff as I'll be living there, and it's an area where people will pay for quality. I'd want my finished product to look something like this:
    11/36 Village Drive, Breakfast Point, NSW 2137

Most of the places I'm looking at are large 2/2/1 apartments around Concord - circa 90-100sqm internally. There are a couple I'm looking at which would need the following works:

- New carpet in bedrooms
    - Timber flooring in living room, hallway and kitchen (most are currently tiled in kitchen and tiles or carpet in living room and hallway) - we have a dog, so something that doesn't scratch easily
    - Paint kitchen cupboards white and replace bench top and sink (will not change configuration)
    - New plantation shutters in both bedrooms
    - New blinds in living area to cover doors leading onto balcony
    - Bathroom - new toilet, vanity, shower screen and replace all tiles
    - Ensuite - new toilet, vanity, shower screen, bath tub and replace all tiles
    - Replace air con unit in living room and bedroom (split systems)

I'm thinking I can do all the above for under $80k (there will be other bits and pieces which will probably add up to another $10k like lights, fans) - do you think this is a realistic budget?

Thanks!

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia