Is it too late to split loan for investment property?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Panda1, 15th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Panda1

Panda1 New Member

Hi all

Have been reading the forum for a while but this is my first post.

We have purchased an investment property for $445k and just finished cooling off, we've paid 5% of the 20% deposit, which was around $20k.

Our current situation:
    Principal residence mortgage $700k
    Refinance of principal residence (pending) $50K - to finance part of the deposit/stamp duty
    Investment loan (pending) $356k

Problem: We are paying the remainder of the 20% deposit/stamp duty from our existing principal residence mortgage. Total paid from our principal residence mortgage is around $58k.

Should we have set this up differently for tax purposes and split the $58k from our principal residence mortgage? We've already paid $20k so is it too late to split that? Should we split the remaining $38k prior to settlement of just leave it as is? I think it will mean we have a "mixed use" mortgage and some interest will still be tax deductible, but it's just not as clean?

Keen to hear your thoughts :)

Thanks in advance

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Yes. Yes but can be refinanced. Yes.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

How did you pay the $20k?
    If you used borrowed money from the main residence loan this can be split after settlement.
    Not really an issue if you split quickly.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  4. Panda1

Panda1 New Member

I paid it from our mortgage account, not the offset (we have extra money in both accounts).

I can't split the loan now as we have an increase in progress, so we have to wait anyway.

If i can split it after settlement this would be perfect, and I could split the exact amount that we paid for deposit, stamp duty etc so that it's clear what the funds are for.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia