Is it time to change my super preference?

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Dylan33, 31st Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dylan33

Dylan33 Well-Known Member

I changed my super from balanced to higher risk after the GFC. Considering what's going on in China and the end of the boom should I be considering changing it back to balanced lower risk for a while?

2. salz

salz Active Member

I did just two weeks back ...from High growth Australian equity to balanced one.

3. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

Changed around a week ago, from 100% shares to 25% shares, rest into other asset classes.

Francesco and Nick Valsamis like this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've struggled with this several times over many years when the share market has been a bit volatile. I don't know enough to get it right though, so I have never changed it. We've lost $48K off our combined balances in the past ten days. It has happened before. Ten days ago our combined balance was the highest it has ever been.

I believe that by the time the latest news hit, it was too late for us to switch into another asset class. The money was already gone. In fact back in April we put $35K into hubby's super and within a week $15K of that was gone :eek:. Then it came back and was higher than ever before.

We are almost all in shares, mostly international, but I've held firm through everything, and just have to hope the balance will continue to rise. It dips and rises every day of course, and I try to not check too often.

I don't know if I'm putting my head in the sand or just being sensible and trying not to worry about what is meant to be a long term asset.

KayTea likes this.
  5. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

It depends if you think the risk is greater than the potential gain.

6. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

I'm not a financial advisor but I think if you are not touching your super for the long term then you can leave it in higher risk and if you are touching it within the next 5 years then leave it in balanced. I'm pretty sure it actually has a cost to you each time you switch even if the super fund is not overt about it.
    Of course, I'm no expert so seek professional advice for your situation.

vtt

KayTea likes this.
  7. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

No way am I clever enough.

Im in high risk but I don't mind a bit of volatility. I'm pouring money in every fortnight, its good for the share component to dip whilst I'm doing this. (No?) Not planning to touch it for 30 years.

The Falcon likes this.
  8. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

High risk and head in the sand.

Bran likes this.
  9. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Depends. Generally the older you are the less risk you will seek and vice versa.
    my super is aggressive growth allocation and I dint mind bear markets because that means I'm buying more of the asset with monthly contributions. And when things turn to a bull market, I'm rich (in dollar terms)even with smaller % market increases.
    It all depends on age and risk profile...super, like property, is a long term game and I generally only change from one allocation to another when I've hit a certain age or my risk profile has changed ..Not based on what the market is doing at that time.

The Falcon likes this.
  10. wylie

We can both share a room in the poor house if things turn bad :D.

WattleIdo likes this.
  11. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

Warren Buffett, a living legend in share investments has some pithy rules:

http://www.ruleoneinvesting.com/blog/warren-buffet-quotes-on-investing-success/

Particularly relevant is:

“Rule No. 1: Never lose money. Rule No. 2: Never forget rule No.1”

If you cannot afford to lose, then switch to a less risky investment for the time being. Earn less but also less risk of losing.

No one can consistently time accurately for the exit or entry into an investment of shares. If the investor can, then it may be potentially a Madoff ponzi scheme. (I avoided an investment that was too good to be true - historically always up or stagnant, never down! It was an investment based on Madoff's investments.)

Even blue chip shares are affected, eg CBA and TLS. It does not mean that you panic but it means keep the allocations to risk manageable. The perspective is in the context of your portfolio of investments, allocation and stage of life.

Take care! :)

12. BingoMaster

BingoMaster Well-Known Member

My two cents: if you switch over now you could risk selling at the bottom. Which, for the record, is what most investors do in the share market. Buy high and sell low.

Its best to find a strategy that suits your temperament in all market conditions (e.g. during this volatile patch) and you can stick to it long term. If its a bit less risky, so be it. Just try not to chop and change too much, because that will lead to underperformance

13. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

I think it is a good idea to sell out of stocks now and wait until the future is certain and there is no volatility in the market. Perhaps wait until the market reached all time highs before entering again. Then when the market crashes again you need to sell out of stocks and wait for good conditions to re-enter. Remember Buffett says don't lose money!

http://www.motivatedmoney.com.au/mysay.php?iid=y8erd373zb

Last edited by a moderator: 1st Sep, 2015
    Bran and WattleIdo like this.
  14. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Great advice Falcon ;)

The Falcon likes this.
  15. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Sell out and consolidate losses?

16. GreenGoblin

GreenGoblin Well-Known Member

Your biggest decision will be which of your houses you choose to move into! :D

17. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I don't see why anyone here - who is contemplating becoming a property investor - would be thinking too hard about plowing money into Super.

I mean; it's almost completely linked to the Sharemarket; which can tank to almost zero as we have all seen, and imagine it that occurred the day before you get your pay-out?

No thanks.

Yes; continue with the Employer Contribution Super - but I wouldn't be salary sacrificing anything into the thing...just the absolute bare minimum required.

I only ever think about Super as a forced savings account, ad hopefully there's a nice little extra bonus at retirement age.

It's the investment for the masses who are too lazy to get off their backside and become a real investor - that's why they've forced us Employers to fund their bloody laziness..

No; I'd rather back myself and keep on investing in property, and create and control my own retirement funds....

Maybe run yer own SMSF and use it to buy properties.

18. BingoMaster

BingoMaster Well-Known Member

....what are you referring to? When has the sharemarket as a whole ever gone to almost zero?

Even with all the recent extreme falls, the ASX is down about 6% for the year when dividends are taken into account.

And that's just the ASX. If you're a sensible investor (which I grant most Australians may not be) you should be exposed to the international markets. These have returned around 25% per annum over the last three years, in AUD terms.

Even given the recent falls of the Chinese sharemarket, which is incredibly speculative compared to most of the world with very low levels of institutional money - this market is still up almost 40% for the year.

Of course, if you listen to all the media hype, and decide to sell out at this point and don't buy in again until the market is much higher - then yes, your returns will be very poor. If you can tune out the media hype, you'll do just fine in the sharemarket.

Rusty12 and Banawarra like this.
  19. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I've seen a decent number of years of neg growth in Super over the last 30 or so.

It may do well; it may do badly.

It is not controllable - who here wants to have no control and take a chance on a hope?

As I said; we can all do better on our own.

20. wylie

For those of us who have been employed, it isn't a choice. We've plowed money into super only when we've had a capital gain... to reduce tax.

Our super has been very good to us, and combined, has grown by $223K in the past two years (until it dropped last week).

Hubby has worked one year in the past five, and I'm casual/PPT, so we are not adding much these days.

Don't knock it.