Is It Time to buy Travel Stocks?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by MTR, 31st Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Ant about to fly
    Carry the tide
    Look at Tencent et all flying

willair likes this.
  2. BunnyXiao

BunnyXiao Well-Known Member

Yup. Been doing this a long time. Glad west is waking up.

willair likes this.
  3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

For a company that was formed in 2004,i would bet money it will be bigger then Aramco's listing last year and will send a ripple through several of the world's banks financial system's not just in powerhouse China but around the entire world..
    Quote ..
    "How the great Khan Causes the Bark of Trees, Made into Something Like Paper, to Pass for Money All over His Country"

Just think ''IF'' all mainstream banks are all condensed into a app designed in China that ends paper-money ,Wall street brokers would be finished over-night ..imho..

4. BunnyXiao

a few pieces of your thesis missing. Alipay(and WeChat) is still only a fiat e money. However, China is making its own bitcoin. But its a closed money system. China is buying up gold. But yes west is waking up to what happened in 2003 in China to force E commerce, so may move to e-commerce in true forms in the west now given wests covid wake up shock moment to force change. So much scope for catch up there now.

willair likes this.
  5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

My guess would be no one knows,and the one's that do have a simple plan by creating their own digital currencies they would simply bypass conventional systems and ''TAX'' ..
    I'm not that smart to understand the complete thesis on the future as it's already here in several forms,but talking to my long-term mate in ''H-K'' and fintech plus add the pandemic into the mix then the future is un-known..buts its a top day in Brisbane..imho..

6. BunnyXiao

All Central banks around the world always want control. Bitcoin may be one play for them too, some closer insiders to the space know the deal there already. China bitcoin will stay in a closed-loop system. Their funds outside China ....Trillions already went out some in Bitcoin also. HK/China I don't see the diff. Its all mainland China now. What is listing in Shanghai gets listed there too. I buy ANT etc on the Shanghai index.

willair likes this.
  7. diagnostic

diagnostic Well-Known Member

Agree with a previous comment regarding stocks such as airports, consider options such as SYD or AIA. It is close to an almost monopoly market with heavily discounted prices at the moment due to the pandemic...

8. Greedo

Greedo Well-Known Member

Rebounded from when? Everything has rebounded since March. Share price is lower then 1999. Maybe something has happened with the capital structure?

Govt backing doesn’t guarantee shareholder returns.

It may do well I don’t follow it that closely and I’m talking long term hold, no idea on short term movements.

I just know airlines are one of the most volatile and hardest industries around to provide a consistent return. Airlines make c. 75% of profits from the pointy end of the plane which has a big Qn mark over it going forward. Airports are a much simpler business being an Infra asset, more resilient with their monopoly status and less reliant (but still significantly impacted) on business travellers as aero charges are all same $/pax and bus traveller spends less on retail//f&b as they sit in the lounges.

MTR likes this.
  9. MSB

MSB Well-Known Member

How do you buy on the Shanghai index from here? My thinking is that we only have access to the HK exchange and can buy ANT there.

10. BunnyXiao

No idea. I'm in Mainland China. Probably there via an index

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

CCL up 40%

all up

vaccine

Silverson likes this.
  12. Robbo80

Robbo80 Well-Known Member

Very interesting trading. Some big gap up in travel stonks and close at the lows.

Flt and web struggled to break the 200moving avg which was interesting. Probably the fact that they are pretty close to precov valuations and another 1-2 years of significant cash outflows weighing on investors minds? Their customers still have alot of credits / bad refund experience to work through as well..

Strongest closes were from ad8, cat and nan. Strong rebound candidates that are not losing money hand over fist but pretty lofty valuations.

Disc held.

Dyor!

MTR likes this.
  13. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

My WEB stocks have done 36.14% since I bought them in June. I expect them to do well over the next 2 - 5 years after they crashed from almost $11 pre Covid to $2.29 at their lowest. I got them at $3.57. I looked at FLT, WEB, SYD and QAN, still plan on buying the others but WEB was my first travel stock.

Robbo80 and David_SYD like this.
  14. Robbo80

Robbo80 Well-Known Member

Nice one mate. It could do well all down to the demand for its services moving forward.

However, if you bought on the basis that it should get back to precovid price of $11 then Ive got good news for you its already there if you factor in the "transformative" 1 for 1 capital raise undertaken in April 2020 at $1.75 per share :/

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  15. David_SYD

David_SYD Well-Known Member

I bought WEB at $3.66 and QAN at $2.47. Both performed well yesterday. I even bought a bit of FLT at $13.50. I bottled another parcel at $11:80 last week. Not totally kicking myself though.

AIZ at $0.80 too.

Holding long-term on all.

Well done to all those that took the punt!

Dan Donoghue and Robbo80 like this.
  16. Dan Donoghue

I'm just dabbling and playing around with small values. I have no expectations to be honest so there is not too much pressure for it to hit a certain percentage. After 5 years if it's up I will be stoked, If it's worth what I paid for it then oh well, if it's worth less then a little bummed but no big deal :).

When it comes to the stock market I don't feel I will ever graduate from playing around to serious investment.

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Another vaccine, looking good for travel stocks

18. mkbonline

mkbonline Well-Known Member

Which travel stock you will buy now after recent rally due to vacine news? QAN or SYD or WEB or FLT?

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

20. Dan Donoghue

I assume it was the borders opening that provided a small spike in WEB today?

I did also notice that Facebook is littered with people posting that they have bought flights to QLD for a holiday.