Is it safe to use rainwater for washing machines?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by DevKZ, 14th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Tank rainwater can be hard. It can leave clothes slightly crunchy v's dam water but that reflects its untreated mineral content and the crap in the air - esp in cities.

2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I was born in the country. Our house had 7 rainwater tanks and we used rainwater for everything except to flush the toilet (used dam water).

One tank had frogs in it. It was the one we used when “annoying” traveling salespeople dropped in and wanted to drink rainwater :D.

They always told us how sweet it was compared with townwater.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  3. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Check the filters where the rain water is collected and make sure its clean if its an issue for you.

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

You know in perth they are pumping the treated sewerage back in to the water table? Twice filtered ;) There's one north of Perth up and running i believe

You can also drink rain water :) delicious. Worked with a company in central qld and they didn't trust the tap water

kierank likes this.
  5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Ice?

Paul@PAS, DaveM and Scott No Mates like this.
  6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Actually, that water will be three times treated. It gets treated before being injected into the aquifer, treated by natural processes over a number of years or decades, then extracted and treated again. I'm not concerned about the water quality.

Rain water is great to drink.

bob shovel likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'm too impatient to stand around with a funnel in my mouth during a rain event.

8. Perthguy

Years ago, people invented a device to store rain water for future use. It's called a Rainwater Tank. You should look into that! ;)

jim1964 and kierank like this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

We had a sinkhole open up on a site years back, I was called out to look into that one too. :confused:

Perthguy likes this.
  10. jim1964

jim1964 1941

I thought exactly the same ! We are totally on rainwater, wouldnt have it any other way.

DaveM, Scaphella and Perthguy like this.
  11. Perthguy

Oh, I hope you didn't look too close! You could have disappeared.

12. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Your clothes will complain as no chlorine and other chemicals .....

Like SNM, where does tap water originate from in most places in AU ?.... dams which have rainfall catchments.....

13. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

The quality of rainwater varies from location to location. It can be considered clear and safe if the roof catching it is clean and properly set up in good working order. It can be sweet to drink in Australia but considered too acidic to drink without processing in the Philippines. As some one mentioned if the top of the water tank is not properly sealed even frogs will reside there and algae will grow in it, not to mention other parasites, like mosquitoes.

The rainwater can be visibly bad if it is used to flush toilet and it leaves behind scum and chalky brownish water. It may even stink if it has been contaminated by the droppings and carcasses of birds and rodents.

14. Waterman

Waterman New Member

The rain water in our complex flows through open gutters to a below ground tank. As such this water is exposed to the environment including bird droppings, dirt and fungi that builds up over time. There is no filtration and/or disinfection. As such this rainwater will contain millions of bacteria. I don't have an issue with using such water in toilets but how the authorities approve it for use in washing machines is beyond me. When the final rinse is complete some of this water is retained in your clothing. hand towels, bath towels etc.

15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

These tanks have a trap to filter out some crap like leaves etc or it would become filled with solid waste in next to no time and be unusable. Often a S or U bend trap to ensure that stuff goes to stormwater and only liquid to the tank. They also have a pump so if it runs dry it uses fresh water to avoid a dry supply line. But yes dead animals end up in rainwater tanks. Esp bugs and small stuff and even dog crap and garden waste like clippings unless they are above ground level. Larger things like cats would give it tangy taste and funky smell. Not great. I would have thought it used for toilets only.

Strange there is no cold fresh water setting. We have treated recycled water on a lilac tap (with reverse threads to prevent general fittings) but arent allowed to use it for clothes washing under NSW regs. Its for loos and dishwasher and external hose to FRONT only (cannot be to rear of a property so its not used in a pool). ie garden, car. Its treated but not for drinking ie its non-potable. It is processed and chlorinated. And costs same as fresh water (it used to be cheaper). Any common area recycled water is restricted to loos and gardens in NSW.

16. Waterman

Waterman New Member

Of course rainwater and recycled water are two different things. I would rather use Class A recycled water for clothes washing than rainwater that's for sure !

17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Spent my early childhood on a farm. Dead pigeons make it sweeter again. Learnt it best not to check the trap inlet on the top of the tank.

dabbler and bob shovel like this.
  18. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If concerned, get your plumber to install a cold water tap.
    Marg

dabbler likes this.
  19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Priceless!

dabbler likes this.
  20. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It’s for clothes! It’s not like you eat them! (do you?)

Too many ‘precious petals’ around...

willair and bob shovel like this.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.