Is it risky to invest in property market now?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Rasheda, 5th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rasheda

Rasheda Member

2. bobbyj

bobbyj Well-Known Member

Too generic of a question.

Like saying, is it dangerous driving a car on Sydney's roads? It's not too dangerous if you drive a tank.

It's highly dependent on your risk profile.
    LVR.
    Cashflow/yield.
    Job security.
    Personal goals.
    Time frame for investment.
    Reason for investment ie. short term flip, long term flip, yield chase, CG chase, negative gearing.

All in all though, I think it's harder to find the right investment.
    Creativity, effort and risk is required to obtain similar growth that most eastern coast investors enjoyed in the past 3-4years.

3. bobbyj

bobbyj Well-Known Member

ie. it's always a good time to buy.

flyhere, investoradam and Realist35 like this.
  4. CosmicTrevor

CosmicTrevor Well-Known Member

If you approach property investing as a numbers game then risk can be managed. For example, if you look at the likely yield and it stacks up that is one risk that is managed. If you check your borrowing capacity before borrowing that is another risk that is managed (to an extent).....

5. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

If you want to listen to the media, go ahead because that's what sells. But in all seriousness, it just depends on the type of properties you are after, the stage of your journey, possible contingency plans if things go pear shaped and the banks/ serviceability/ LMI. But to be fair, I have slowed down my progress.

6. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Which property market??? I tend to skip articles that mention OECD reports.. you might as well get your economics news from DailyMail

C-mac and Propertunity like this.
  7. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

You gonna get got Rasheda.

Do Androids Dream likes this.
  8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I would say with some confidence that parts of Sydney and Melbourne are overvalued. There is probably still some good buying in Sydney and Melbourne. The risk of Sydney now is that there could be a repeat of Sydney 2003 to 2013 where there was less than spectacular growth. Your best bet is Brisbane, Hobart or Adelaide. There is good buying in Perth but no short term prospects for capital growth.

Rasheda likes this.
  9. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Google economist magazine property market warning

On the first page you'll get warnings about the overheated , overvalued market from 2005 , 2011 ( march and November ) , June 2015 and April 2016

Google IMF property market warning

OECD property market warning , they are less profligate than the others , but still told us back in 2005 we were 52 % overvalued

2005 .

Bottom line is that there are warnings on a regular basis . My personal observation is that the considered opinion on this forum is generally spot on. At the current stage I'm not aware of any long term members buying in Sydney , but they have been buying in Brisbane , Adelaide and Tasmania . Melbourne ( I know forumites were buying in 2015 , early 2016 , but not sure about now ) , but probably too late .
    Some chat about Perth , but probably too soon .

We do have cash we can use for one more buy in our superfund , but just about to change jobs so going to get that out of the way first . I can still see places I am happy to buy .

Cliff

Perthguy, Jaik2012, JL1 and 4 others like this.