Is it possible to determine slab class from this engineering diagram?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Karen_17, 17th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Karen_17

Karen_17 Member

Hi everyone :) I was wondering if it’s possible to determine slab class (e.g. M or H) from this engineer report diagram? I’m in a cooling off period for a 3 year old property built in a high salinity area and have asked the real estate agent to confirm the slab class used, but was only directed to the pages in the COS from the engineering report.

To provide some context to my enquiry, we had a terrible experience with dodgy builders and a huge financial loss with our last property purchase and 3 years later we have just recovered enough to be able to buy again, but I’m a little anxious about buying a 3 year old house built by an unknown/non-major builder. The pre-purchase building report only showed one hairline settlement crack inside the house, and 2-3 minor cracks in the driveway, but when our conveyancer mentioned that this estate is a high salinity area, I thought I should do some research as to whether the appropriate slab class was used. Thanks so much in advance for any advice offered!

Attached Files:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

No. The information that you are after is either on the first page of the engineering drawings (specification page) or in the notes on the same page that you have lifted the footing plan.

Edit: If you need the full engineering plans you may need to lodge a GIPPA request with the council.

3. Karen_17

Karen_17 Member

Thanks for your reply. I’ve scrutinised all of the pages but they don’t specify the slab or soil class (whereas in the contract for another property we looked at, the engineering report specified the soil type and slab class, and the footing plan showed grids across the whole slab). I’ll keep looking though - thanks again.

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Call Council and see if they have the construction & engineering drawings. They may have them online for a 3 year old build.

Karen_17 likes this.
  5. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

I would have thought the soil class (M or H) would determine the type of slab not as a 'class' but as a slab type that a building certifier would sign off on. So maybe the sign off of the slab is what you need rather than a 'class' of slab.

Slabs vary, concrete mPA varies. In my H class soil type i had two very different slabs proposed by two builders, both up to code. One was a waffle pod slab.

Karen_17 likes this.
  6. Karen_17

Karen_17 Member

Thank you both for your replies.