Is it possible to ban someone from posting on a thread you start

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by Momentum, 15th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

But a person who has been banned for creating problems often comes back creating the same problems.

2. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

That isn't always the case. Often they will learn from their mistakes the first time and not repeat them again

3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Not sure I'd use the word often. More likely sometimes.

4. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Will it depends if they're trolling on purpose in the first place, or if they really were oblivious to the rules

geoffw likes this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

As @skater says, sometimes.

A person who really does learn from their mistakes can be forgiven. But many don't learn.

Sackie and skater like this.
  6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

That is a very valid point.

7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Except in extreme circumstances, people don't get banned without warnings first - so it is impossible for them to be oblivious to the rules.

The warnings I give are educational first - pointing out the rules and explaining the problem - but then continued infringements see increasing penalties applied until the system eventually bans someone automatically.

It does depend on the circumstances - there is one particular user I've banned more than 20 times - but he continues to return under a different alias always peddling the same anti-property content. He's not just a normal troll - he's doing it for corporate gain (it's a long story). I have zero tolerance for this person and I automatically ban any new user account I identify associated with that user.

There are other users who have been particularly abusive and if I identify them returning with a new user account - I will ban them pre-emptively.

At the end of the day, I simply want people to contribute in a meaningful and positive way to the community. Anyone who can do that without breaking the rules or causing problems, I welcome on the site.

Marg4000, Sackie, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  8. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

For a sock puppet - yes

Cliff

9. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

So glad for the ignore function. Added another one.

craigc likes this.
  10. DoingOK

DoingOK Well-Known Member

I clearly need to read more posts - I must be missing more bogans than just the one from logan whose sense of humour seems to match mine - how sad is that.

I had no idea there was an ignore function. I have historically only come across two people i scroll past so effectively ignore. Today I was surprise by a persons comments who generally i respected. I cant tell if they were being tongue in cheek or if they were serious. May have just been there background and life experiences but seemed somewhat out of character. I scrolled on and just rest the rest of the posts.
    Simon I think you do a great job keeping this giant forum ticking over. I tip my hat to you.