Is it possible to add extra bedroom in 3b house before selling?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by SteffS, 20th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Depending on floorpan you may be able to convert rumpus into a bedroom + study nook.... if other living spaces are adequately sized & position this could then become a 4 bd + study or 4 bd + 2 bth.....

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You definitely don't need built-in wardrobes in Brisbane. We've just had two houses lifted, and refreshed. Not a wardrobe in the place, but ticked off as three bedrooms.

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Well, there’s the problem - the agent probably doesn’t know the NCC etc.

Mark F likes this.
  4. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

There is no definition of a bedroom in the NCC - just habitable rooms.
    Be careful when googling to avoid overseas sites as some os sites do mention the need for a closet. One mentions 2.7 ceiling height but this NOT an Australian requirement.

There is no definition of a bedroom in the NCC - just habitable rooms. This site seems to provide detailed info Habitable Room Requirements

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

That is not necessarily so. I've seen many 4 bedroom, older homes with one small living area and one bathroom, and this thread is concerning an older home. In fact, we are renovating one at the moment. It is not uncommon for a second toilet to be added to the laundry in this instance.

6. Krishnakrishna

Krishnakrishna Member

Hi All,

I am planning to convert my theatre room to 4th bedroom and attached is the plan. Will it be possible to go for it or its not worth?

Thanks for taking your time

Regards,
    Krish

Attached Files:

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

@Krishnakrishna assuming this is for an investment property to be rented and not for your own home, I would check with local agents as to whether the living area is large enough to cater for families needing four bedrooms.

You could put double pocket doors in so that it can be closed off but still feel reasonably open and part of the kitchen and living area.

Also, I'd check that it can be a bedroom. I've no idea about the rules, but I do know when our media room (Brisbane) was changed on the plans during some small changes to read "Bed 4" the council requested it be changed back to media room.

I do know one lot of tenants used it as a bedroom and used a designated bedroom as a spare room for ironing and storage. I don't know (and haven't followed up) why council insisted on it not being labelled Bed 4.

I guess tenants can put a bed in the living room, and one in the laundry if they wish, but for our plans, council insisted it not be called Bed 4.

8. Krishnakrishna

Krishnakrishna Member

Sure, will check..thanks for your inputs

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

@Krishnakrishna it would be rather cheap and easy to convert, but by doing so, you really are reducing the size of living space a considerable amount. Whether you are allowed to do it or not, I wouldn't want a large family with such a small space.

10. Krishnakrishna

Krishnakrishna Member

Thanks for the reply skater :), I was not planning to make any changes to the dimensions of the rooms/ living areas but wanted to convert highlighted room( MPR ) to 4th bedroom ...

Attached Files:

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Your local council may be able to advise. It may or may not need approval. I would have concerns that the bedroom to living space is being reduced. Council may have a ratio they use. This may be why it wasnt marketed or build to approved plans as a 4 bed. This happens with pools too. Council may knock back a large pool fenced area and approve a pool that has little yard within the fence. If you wanted to sell the 4 bedder with a 3 bed occupancy cert you could encounter some issues in future.

12. Krishnakrishna

Krishnakrishna Member

Ahh sure, thank you

13. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yes, I didn't say to change dimensions. By making that room a bedroom, your overall living area is reduced.

14. Krishnakrishna

Krishnakrishna Member

Ahh understood....thank you

15. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You can probably do this easily, but won’t automatically add much value. You are adding a bedroom, but eliminating a living space.

From the plan, you are left with very small living space, unattractive to anyone who needs four bedrooms.

skater and Krishnakrishna like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia