Is it OK to send the sales proceeds of o'seas condo to my HK bank account?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by 101, 19th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. 101

101 Member

Bangkok, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Gold Coast
    Hi great forum here, I'm a long time lurker with a question. I finally found someone to buy my condo in Thailand after reducing the price from 5.9m to 4.2m baht (AU$170k). I paid about 4m for it (including furniture) in 2011 so I'm happy to get my money back as I'll be winning on the exchange rate. I was a non-res when I bought it and will still be classified as non-res when I sell it so I don't believe there's any issue with the ATO.

I would like to transfer the 4.2m baht sale proceeds from my Thai bank account to my Thai denominated HK bank account (HSBC) and keep the money in HK. My plan is to exchange the THB to HKD when the exchange rate is favourable. I will then use the money (about HK$1m or AU$170k) to buy LIC's and ETFs on the HK stock exchange.

Can anyone see a problem doing this? Will there be any issues with the ATO or money laundering departments like AUSTRAC? With the AU$170k I'm aiming to create a USD based income by investing on HK stock exchange.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I can't see a problem from an Australian point of view. You are a non-resident and there is no Australian connection it seems.

AUSTRAC only monitors transactions, it is the AFP's jurisdiction to investigate. But you only have to worry if there is money laundering happening. You should try to keep good evidence of all the steps - sale etc.

BTW did I meet you once over that way?

3. 101

101 Member

Thanks Terry, just want to check I'm flying above board.
    Yes we met in Thailand, hope you've been well. I'll be there again next month, let me know if you're in town.

Terry_w likes this.
  4. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Where are you now ?
    Melbourne
    Gold Coast
    Hong Kong
    Over the next few weeks I will be in all those places plus a couple more locations

5. 101

101 Member

I'm on the GC now but will be in HK in 2 weeks time and then staying in Thailand until September

6. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

Must organise a meet up when you are next in Melbourne. Or at least a coffee.

Beano likes this.