Is it legal to.... bear traps to catch burglars?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by fullylucky, 5th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. fullylucky

fullylucky Well-Known Member

This is a srs thread...

Dropbox - 18835773_1426340664075789_1600628558404712841_n.jpg

Crime in the area is starting to get hectic.

Just wondering is it legal to use boobytraps and bear traps to catch burglars?

I haven't been broken into but others in my neighbourhood watch have been. they are asking me if they are allowed to use traps? They are fairly angry at the fact police not doing too much. Forensics only look at the door and not doing much else.

Just wondering which law or laws says we can't?

I get how if you have a family and you set a trap only to hurt others around you, however, what if you live by yourself and you know what you are doing?? It would be good if the single people in the suburb help catch them for everyone else that live in the suburb.

Any legal experts here can explain this?

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

lmfao.

Not legal.

Crimes Act 1900
    section 49 Setting trap etc
    part 1 (a)
    places or sets, or causes to be placed or set, any trap, device or thing (whether its nature be electronic, electric, mechanical, chemical or otherwise) capable of destroying human life or inflicting grievous bodily harm on any person

EN710, legallyblonde, Bonz and 3 others like this.
  3. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Perhaps try electric fence, attack dogs, or a moat

Jamie Moore likes this.
  4. fullylucky

oh ok... thread closed damn....

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

common dude..did you really think you could get away with shenanigans like that? Imagine if you accidentally killed a kid? The parents would eventually own your home while your reading PC forum from longbay jail.

6. fullylucky

plz read OP carefully i already said no kids involved!

7. fullylucky

wait....

"Whether its nature be electronic, electric, mechanical, chemical or otherwise"

this is pretty water tight... however...

it says "capable of destroying human life or inflicting grievous bodily harm on any person"

what if.... it inflicts minor minimum harm enough to get DNA? Because at the moment all the thieves using gloves and the police can't do anything about it.... and it's beginning to be a serious problem for the people in the area.

also what if you make a heroic sacrifice? you get sued but others in the suburb will benefit as thieves will now think twice before messing with your suburb and the people of your suburb?

Subodh Shirodkar likes this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I nominate this the most hilarious thread of 2017.

Last edited: 5th Jun, 2017
  9. fullylucky

think about this... someone breaks someones ribs while doing CPR... would any judge penalise the first aider? it would set a precedent for people in the future not to even give first aid.

Same with this. If you have no priors and you acted in good will for the community I find it hard any judge would go against you for what you have done.

10. fullylucky

anyways i didnt know about this law but now i do.

so thread closed

there's always non lethal booby traps...

just you wait until your house gets broken into and you call the police and the police spends 5 mins looking a your place then leave say oh yeah nah yeah nah we'll get back to you. cya

we are living in an age of technology and innovation why not develop some tech or simple device that allows people to capture thieves in a friendly way, can market it and "capitalise" on this.

Last edited: 5th Jun, 2017
  11. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

Install some decent security cameras. Best bear trap you will ever own

12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

What if you're a bear trap collector? Go for it i say! Theyll know not to break in to your house again

Luke T and fullylucky like this.
  13. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

It certainly does cross the mind after being burgled a couple of times, but the law is on their side, you can't harm them unfortunately, or even kick them out if they squat in your house (EU). I got my own back though on some pickpockets i caught.

ellejay likes this.
  14. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

You didn't quote the entire section:

(2) Nothing in subsection (1) shall extend to any gin or trap, placed with the intention of destroying vermin, or to any trap, device or thing placed in a dwelling-house for the protection thereof.

fullylucky likes this.
  15. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Many years ago, 3 of mates were renting a house next to a Pub (Country town).

They walked next door for a few drinks, and came home a few hours later...

There was bloke (a visitor to the town, apparently) in there committing a burglary when they arrived back....

They beat the cr@p out of him, threw him in the car and took him to the Police station...

The Cops said; "Thanks boys; we'll take over from here...have a good night" :p

True story.

Ted Varrick and JacM like this.
  16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

So if you left your cotton gin operating in a pit adjacent to the door and they happened to fall I, all good?

Angel likes this.
  17. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

No idea!

There could be case law specifically relating to cotton gins adjacent to doors! The Act is 117 years old after all.

18. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Home Alone (3/5) Movie CLIP - Booby Traps (1990) HD

Redwing, dabbler and 158 like this.
  19. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

See s 123(f)(i) of the Boobytraps Act 1912 (NSW)

JacM likes this.
  20. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Only defend yourself O Lucky One, no one else should try this, others may not have the grey matter. If they have to ask, you know they are a bit daft at best. So just FYI only***

You might have to design your system so it catches a robber who is threatening you, rather than a burglar just with intent, maybe right outside your bedroom door, and keep all your cash rent roll inside same room as an extra lure (they prob know you do this anyway after posting about it on the net), make sure they have robbed you of some other valuable item first though (a Kmart heater or other Kmart loot etc etc).

Make sure it is Polar bear rated trap, some robbers who are high on ice may weasel out of a normal bear trap and still pose a real threat, put ample foam type padding also on the jaws otherwise it may take a skinny robbers lower leg right off, and that could be used as a weapon to club you to death, or to kick down your bedroom door an score the secondary prize of the loot after finishing you off, do not underestimate the brawn and brains of a robber high on ice.

If you catch one of the suspect terrorists you house from time to time (your claim), you may get extra points from the law and even an award may be given in the current climate. Do not catch and release though, that may be against the law, get proper legal advice.

Make sure all temples etc are council approved so your not counter sued in case they trip over say temple post whilst dragging the trap across the yard in an attempt to escape (trap should really be staked to concrete block, yeah, get paid legal advice, you want to sew the likely legless buggers right up with no outs at court time, nothing worse than a high ice robber who gets off without even a slap on the wrist.

Good luck. Get professional help.....now.

Angel, Hosko, The Falcon and 4 others like this.