Is it even worth considering commercial with a $180,000 deposit in the current market?

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by Zdravko, 8th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Zdravko

Zdravko Active Member

Hi All,

I've got a deposit of $180,000 + change and was considering putting it towards a commercial property but factoring in the 30% deposit requirement + costs, is it enough to secure a decent asset in today's market? From my research, it appears to be increasingly difficult to find a quality sub-million commercial property.

Perhaps a better play would be to go residential with focus on CG and consider commercial in a few years?. As it stands, I'm in my mid-30's with 2 IPs (fixed for the next three years) and a PPOR (variable, from which I'm releasing the $180,000 in equity).

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Z.

GreenTreeFrog likes this.
  2. SmileSydney

SmileSydney Well-Known Member

Depends which part of Australia.

You could look at mixed use properties where you could get resi loan and resi LVR. This could be shop top housing or buying a small unit complex. Again depends which part of Australia.

Sydney? Fuggedaboutit.

Beano and Zdravko like this.
  3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I purchased a commercial, one of two offices/retail on ground floor of an apartment building.
    Listed as unit 19 (of 19), I never said it wasn't resi and the bank never asked :D
    So ended up at 10% deposit :p

datto, lixas4, Colin Rice and 6 others like this.
  4. kmrr

kmrr Well-Known Member

Surely you could find some retail space for circa $500k, especially out of the 2 big cities. You'd just need to find one with a good tenant/fundamentals

5. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Nice, had a similar outcome with serviced apartment a few years back using a desktop valuation.

HenryC likes this.
  6. HenryC

HenryC Well-Known Member

Depends on what type of Commercial you are buying...Retail properties are record low in some states due to Covid, meanwhile, the Industrial properties market are growing crazy, just make sure you have the capability to afford the mortgage when the property is vacant, as Commercial properties take longer to secure a tenant, sometimes it can be vacant for 6 months or more

Just my opinion, hope this helps:)

Beano and Stoffo like this.
  7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I have a retail/office for sale currently (outer Sydney suburb)
    Have had lots interest from owner occupiers
    When I bought I paid less than a 1br apartment in the complex, rejected an offer this week that was the same as a recent 2br sale price ;)
    Larger offices may be struggling price wise but there's LOTS of consumer confidence out there currently :cool:

datto likes this.
  8. HenryC

HenryC Well-Known Member

Good work mate! City Fringe offices are going down but suburban areas are other way around....most people are sick of working from home and want a small office space to work and have some personal time instead of being home 24/7 - Good luck with the SALE!!

Stoffo likes this.