is it costly to sand & paint the fibro walls*?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by samiam, 27th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

* suspected asbestos panel
    have to replace all sheets??

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Well if it is asbestos, you mustn't sand!

You can wash and repaint though. No more expensive than normal repainting.

If the fibro is degrading, flaking or broken then best to remove and replace.

samiam likes this.
  3. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

thanks @Joynz
    any idea how much it would cost if have to remove and replace? let say 2 bed room small house
    I am looking to purchase an old house with ugly walls and want to factor everything before I make an offer..

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Is this the one in Brisbane you want painted? I hadn't heard back from my painter so I messaged him again today. He apologized and said he has been really busy. I'm guessing that means he may not be the painter for you this time.

5. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

Internal or external walls? You could always just sheet over the top. More cost effective than paying professionals to remove it. If it was a PPOR I would gut it though, gives you the opportunity to reconfigure rooms, also could be hiding other problems.

6. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

@wylie - its the different house that I am now eyeing on, haven't given my offer yet. thanks for getting back to me about Brisbane.:)
    @Raydar - it will be ip if they are going to accept my offer :p. its internal walls.. probably the worst house in whole street.. nice location though..

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Anything that looks like fibro must be treated as if it may be asbestos. Never drill or sand. Even if its suspected to be cement sheet until its tested assume its asbestos AND you wear a mask and right gear. Quite expensive to replace as contractors must be licensed to handle AND dispose of it. Many councils require a permit too. Check your Council rules as penalty can be crazy. (Its there to stop evil dumping and stupid people handling absestos !)

There is a environmental tax deduction available for replacement (not covering it) however !!!
    Asbestos affected rental properties - income tax deductions | Australian Taxation Office

Cladding, oil based paints and textured finishes are options BUT it doesnt fix the problem. It is just (partly) conceals it. Asbestos will still be friable in places like cupboards etc expose to touch and clothing etc. Relining is a wise option to avoid contact. If you can see it you can breath it. If there is a fire you will face a very costly clean up bill so make sure your are insured for the cost.

You can buy a test kit at paint stores / hardware to test for lead in paint and also for asbestos.

samiam likes this.
  8. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Thanks so much @Paul@PFI for such a detailed response..
    Agent is sending me the B&P report tonight but Looks like I will b running away from miles fr that house!