Is it a good time to fixed our mortgage

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Wonderland, 18th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Wonderland

Wonderland Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

We’ve just sold our home and currently in the market to buying another PPOR. We haven’t gone to the banks/mortgage broker yet about loans, but I was wondering whether we should get a loan and fix it for a few years or whether it’s best just to go variable? What’s the best strategy for us?

Also, ideally we would like to look into buying an IP maybe 5-10 years from now. I know it’s a long time away, but I want to try and structure our loans correct from the onset. Is it best to have an offset account attached to the loan and make all extra repayment into there instead of directly into the loan? Is it possible to have two offset accounts attached to one loan? Ideally I would like an offset where all our salaries go into and another offset for our extra repayments. Having them separated helps me from overspending money on useless things lol.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

A best strategy is best geared to your personal needs, resources, risk profile and decision making ability.

Objectively with such limited data no one can provide much feedback other than what fixed rates may or may not do, and provide guidance on the benefits and limitations of such products.

Often, a combo loan with part fixed and part variable can be a good solution, but much depends on what you will do with the loan.

Are you going to be a "plodder" and pay the thing down the traditional way with some extra repayments every now and then, or will you look at ways to save 5 10 or 15 years off the the loan term with say an active debt recycle strategy or some sort of side business.

All those things add to make a decision based not just on the current transaction, but your future goals allowing some optimisation of structure and therefore likely outcomes.

ta
    rolf

3. Wonderland

Thanks Rolf, yes I understand that I didn’t provide much information to really get any meaningful advice.

Our plan is to make additional payments every fortnight for a few years to pay down some of mortgage. Hopefully with the combination of extra repayments and capital grow, we’ll build a little bit of equity in the property to be able to use it to finance an IP.

If we plan on paying down our mortgage, does that mean we can’t used fixed rates? From reading this forum last night, it seems that fixed rate loans don’t allow you to make extra repayments. But if we put those extra repayments into an offset instead of the loan itself, would this be a way around that limitation?

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

most lenders dont have fixed and offset

Some lenders like Adelaide Bank do, in which case your scenario would work.

For other lenders, one can do a cocktail loan, have some fixed some variable with offset, making sure one leaves enough variable.

IE if u can pay off 50 k in 3 years, leave at leas 50 variable and fix the balance

Many fixed rate loans do allow a little extra repayments.

ta
    rolf

5. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

A simple and common structure if you want to lock in the lower fixed rate AND take advantage of the full flexibility around early repayment / reducing interest cost via offset is to do a split product.

In order to optimise the splits it is good to think about how much surplus you'll have during the fixed period and then set that as the variable split.

E.g. if it is a $1m loan with fixed period of 2 years (24 months)
    - Monthly surplus income of $4,000pm
    - $4,000 x 24 = $96,000 for variable
    - Therefore $904K in fixed

You'd need to think about your own projections e.g. any additional bonus payments, potential windfalls, and conversely any purchases that need to be accrued for like weddings, cars, etc but at a principal level having a rationale to the numbers will have you best place to deliver the best outcome.

edit; pretty much what Rolf said

6. Wonderland

Thank you both for the information! Although Morgs said the same thing as Rolf, it is easier for me to understand when you show me breakdown of numbers like this. Very much appreciated guys. I will speak to my broker about trying to set up the split.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia