Is it a good idea to take out the 10k super and put it towards property?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by showtime94, 22nd May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. showtime94

showtime94 Well-Known Member

Just wondering do you think it would be a good idea to take advantage and take out the 10k from super and take the other 10k after the financial year and save on top of that 20k and put it towards a deposit for a investment property?

twisted strategies likes this.
  2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Will you qualify for finance if your income has dropped low enough that you can access your Super this year?

Perp, twisted strategies and MTR like this.
  3. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

If you haven't been able to save a deposit, how likely is it that you will in the future, especially IF your income has reduced?

4. philm

philm Member

I would do the same if I was able to access my super so I say go for it. I would take the lot out if I could and invest it elsewhere. People carry on about super as if it is some magical unicorn but I think that you are better off being able to invest it elsewhere.

You can always catch up later by salary sacrificing into super but the next few years should see some good buying opportunities in property and shares. Cash is king as they say.

5. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

It is a magic unicorn if you take the time to care for it properly. Just remember than the $10,000 you take out today was most probably $12-15k only a few month ago and it is likely to return to that level.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Not only is it magical but it lives in a tax haven and enjoys favourable treatment compared to property or other investment vehicles.

27269, Perp, mikey7 and 6 others like this.
  7. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

At best it might make you an extra few hundred dollars.
    At worst it could cost you over a thousand when market rebounds.

They're not good odds...

8. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I'm so surprised at some of the negativity on here about taking out super. If I could take out all my super tax-free I would do so in a heartbeat.

I can't think of many downsides at all assuming that you do anything halfway financially responsible with it.

9. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Most industry super funds average 10% a year growth. If you have 10k and leave it for 35 years it will be worth 281k in 35 years time assuming 10% compounding growth. It would also depend on the size of your current super balance and your ability to make extra concessional contributions in the future. Personally I wouldn't be touching it.

10. PropDir

PropDir Well-Known Member Business Member

My personal preference currently is to keep the super completely separated from my property investing activity. I have kept it separate for as long as I can remember except for recently where the markets were starting fall, when I changed all my investment options over to cash. Otherwise I keep it very hands off.

Has anyone here used their super in the past to fund their property investments? What has been your experience?

11. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Do you actually qualify to withdraw super?

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I haven't, but other people have. It's called Buying Property in a Self Managed Super Fund.

13. showtime94

I can save a deposit, i already have. I was just wondering if it would be a good idea to use the money towards another deposit tho

twisted strategies and Lindsay_W like this.
  14. showtime94

Yeah thats what i was thinking , obviously the people that are pulling it out and wasting the money on nonsense they are better off not touching it , but pulling it out and putting it towards property may prove to be money better spent

twisted strategies and Lindsay_W like this.
  15. showtime94

Yeah thats true .

16. showtime94

Well i lost my job , so i would assume so

twisted strategies and Redwing like this.
  17. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Exactly. If you Take it out and buy a new tv and some furniture of course it’s a terrible idea.

Super - might return 8-10% & let’s hope you can touch it at retirement age. Many don’t make it to 67

Putting it into property - you gain 2-3% pa immediately depending on your interest rate, and will Benefit from capital growth over the same period/time frame as your super. Psychological benefits of owning the property, living standards, security etc. It’s a great use of the $20k IMO if it allows you to buy

Shares - Put the $20k into a large fund trading at a discount right now, you’ll still get the rebound, and similar if not better growth than any super fund taking their huge chunk of fee’s and insurance. No different really except you have control of it right throughout your life & can use it at any stage, and may draw dividends much earlier than retirement age.

Im in the opposite camp and think people should take it out as long as it’s used correctly

18. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

If your job loss means that it will be awhile before you can get funding again and you still want to use the $20k for a deposit make sure you put it in a term deposit/savings bonus account and get as much interest as you can.

Alternatively you could leave the money in your Super and change your risk allocation to a riskier one so that you are more exposed to the share market and reap the gains that may occur over the next 1-3 years.

It very much depends on your age, how much you have in your Super, risk profile and what you are going to buy with that deposit.

Cia and Lindsay_W like this.
  19. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

That's the issue though, most won't, new car, jet ski etc.

20. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

What most people don't talk about is the fact that you eventually get to access super with about 5 years left to the grave. Ok, 5 years is a stretch, maybe 10 years but still, I'd rather reduce my home loan right now.

Pingu1988, Empire, Rugrat and 6 others like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia