NSW Is it a good idea to buy in Sydney CBD?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by angieangie, 5th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. angieangie

angieangie Member

I was looking on RE and found that Sydney CBD apartments are cheap right now because of the whole border closures -> lack of tenants -> etc. Do you think it's a good idea to grab an apartment in the CBD? I know apartments have less capital growth but with the high rental yield and cheap prices right now, I'm starting to think it's not a bad idea. Please give me some advice!

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I suppose you could if you are comfortable with it, I think you have outlined the issues.
    Check the strata fees.

3. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

I think maybe Australia is not as popular with some of our Asian neighbors as it was a couple of a years ago?

Perhaps because we've recently formed a new military/defense pact with the USA and UK and Scomo has also told the world that "we need to stand up to China!" :D

So the demand for inner city apartments...which over the previous 10 years has predominantly been driven by foreign investors/international students...may never really recover to previous levels.

Stay well away.o_O

4. Kevbo

Kevbo Well-Known Member

If you want to get into the $1.2m+ apartment markets I would recommend you focus on the upper premium stock in the inner west/north shore. Much better tenents and CG potentials.

Sydney CBD and Pyrmont seem to have reached their full growth potential and any subsequent growth would be slow (except for the $2.5m+ luxury apartments which are attractive to loaded foreign investors but the holding costs for you will be extremely high).