QLD Is Ipswich still a good area to buy?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by John Delooney, 6th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. John Delooney

John Delooney Well-Known Member

Some buyer agents say Ipswich is investment property scam central - too many renters and not enough owners so they may move out closer to the city once rents get cheaper.

What is this forums thoughts on ipswich as a suburb. Looks like it had a solid run, not sure what to expect from here.

2. southern-investor

southern-investor Well-Known Member

Ipswich growth has been insane as well. It was late to the party but its still rising now.

My brothers investment went from $270k to about $500k now within 4 years. Rental yields are good back then because the cost was low and rents high. Plus currently with vacancies sitting at around 1% rents continue to rise here as well.

Its much better than holding cash especially if you bought several years ago your yields compared to your purchase price would be insane right now.

I would say as part of an investment portfolio Ipswich has its place. If your chasing purely capital growth its prob not the best (I'd rather Logan but Logan is more expensive).

3. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Ipswich is a big area...have you checked the suburbs stats to confirm what the BAs are saying?

4. applesathome

applesathome Well-Known Member

Different parts of Ipswich so depends where you mean. I bought in Bellbird Park late last year and it's done well so far.

5. John Delooney

John Delooney Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of race view. Not a new build but an established.

6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Ipswich, like many other areas across Australia is a large area. There are good pockets and no so good pockets. Whether or not it's good for an investment for YOU, only you can ascertain. If you are interested, but nervous, GO THERE, drive the streets, meet the people, and get some perspective of your own.

7. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

When there is a broader boom, naturally Ipwich has grown. It will be a mix but mostly investors. Again its normal, for people to live closer to city and prefer family friendly suburbs, thats why they are stable and grow faster than Ipswich.

8. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Iā€™m a Raceview investor. A lot of growth this year already but rents seem to be growing to match. Check out the Ipswich and Raceview threads using the search function.

9. applesathome

applesathome Well-Known Member

I'll give you an honest story.

I settled around 6 months ago for around $415k in Bellbird Park
    I had a desktop val done and it came back at $477k early May
    I had a real estate agent give me a current sales appraisal range based on recent comparables for between $550-570k. (TBH, I found this a little high, and would expect if I sold today to get between $520-540k)

There's definetely been movement, but you've got to find the right spot. I'd be wary of the areas on the outskirts with too much available land and potential supply.