Is ignoring the new norm?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TMNT, 20th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I am invisible when I shop with my daughter, salesperson will engage with daughter, ignoring me completely, the customer.
    I disengage, wander off, find another salesperson, complete purchase, rejoin my daughter and announce I bought what I wanted ... look on salespersons face priceless :D

hobartchic and wylie like this.
  2. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

I think the Mods should start a new Topic called "Grumpy Old People" :p

To generalise, yes I think people are getting rude. My parents have 7 kids and they are permanently telling us to watch our manners, didnt matter we were poor and had no social standing. But nowadays you just need to go to the shops and see how other people discipline their child.

Only recently I have 2 young friends visiting our home for family lunch, late 20's/ early 30's, believe to come from good families (read wealthy). Had to pick them up from the bus-stop. They didnt bring gift, didnt help preparing or serving, and didnt help washing-up or tidying-up afterwards. My parents would be horrified to say the least.

Then of course you get those who choose to respond to you when it suits them. Be it emails or calls or SMS. But when they need something from us, they will ring after 30 minutes of sending it!

My pet hate is their love of texting: as we are in business, we prefer to email so that everyone is in the loop (general 2 or more tenants plus us). More often than not, they'd reply our emails by doing a one-on-one texting. This really baffles me.

Yes, I think ignoring is becoming a norm. I wish they learn to just respond even with a short message "got it", "thanks".

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

We have often been ignored. It seems to come with aging. The worst was in a car sales room, when we were in the market for a new car, and we were completely invisible. That's why I drive the make I have and not the make in that showroom.

Often older people have much more disposable income than people with young families.

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Why should it be up to his wife to reply?

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Because I know he didn't thank us the first time. I doubt he's learned more manners himself.

His first wife didn't thank us either. I'm not making this a sexist thing. Please don't make it that either. Neither husband nor wife bothered thanking us.

6. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Interesting
    I don’t think I have ever received a ‘thank you’ card for a wedding either attended or not. And i would Not expect one.
    We didn’t send thank you for our wedding (I don’t think). But then we never sent formal invites either...

In fact I have attended several weddings and not given a gift at all - I don’t believe it was considered rude by the hosts.
    And we asked our guests not to provide a gift.

Blacky

EN710 and Joynz like this.
  7. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I'd just send a card and perhaps something small if you can't attend. I received a thank you from the last wedding I went to, so some young people have manners.

As for Sales Reps that don't return a call, I can find another who can. Good luck to them with that attitude.

8. hobartchic

I generally help out but I know plenty of 30 somethings that think it's beneath them or something. I think it's rude.
    Mind you, I dealt with a 60 something addicted to their phone the other day, they got no where anyway, and just looked a bit of a twat. So nothing to do with age either. Just self involved. When I had to take calls for work, I always apologised, and left the room. It's just good manners. I also made sure I had to take the call. That's a rare thing though. A sick parent was the same situation.

Pumpkin likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Zoolander likes this.
  10. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

WOW
    Can't believe how many replies there are :p

No, you are not being IGNORED ;)

TMNT likes this.
  11. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

Unfortunately at work I ignore most emails...yes I'm rude.

But to put things in context, most days I spend 6 to 7 hours in meetings and receive 150+ emails. I just dont have time to respond to them all.

Though I always respond to personal emails.

12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Another example,.

I receive the odd private message asking for advice to a simple pointer

Sometimes the request is totally out of my league or speciality or even a misunderstanding

I will always reply saying, here is my opinion or I don't anything about it

I do the same on other forums, I ll ask another memebr or even moderator for a tip or pointer,

If I get a reply I will always send thanks

Sometimes I don't even get a reply

Sometimes when i get asked a question, and I can answer it,, I'll write a long answer back, and I don't even get a reply

I find that rude

Edit: that just reminded me, years ago I had some new stock that was worth about $100, I didn't have the time or resources to advertise it and sell it

So I went onto a forum and offered it for free and I would cover postage

Some guy immediately wanted it. So I posted it at my expense and sent them the tracking number ,, never heard back from them

Rude

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yes - I find the new norm disconcerting.

If someone I know sends me information or advice or anything really, I always acknowledge receipt with a quick "thanks" so they know I've got it.

I found, starting around 10 years ago, the younger generation don't think like that. They assume that because you sent something either electronically or via snail mail, that it must be received ... so therefore they don't reply to say whatever arrived ... and then they'd get cranky if I chased up to make sure they got "it" with an "of course I did".

Maybe I'm old fashioned and of from the generation where things used to go astray on a regular basis ... still waiting for a parcel sent from the USA 40 years ago.

14. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

Can I join? I'm 27, but definitely have the grumpy old person thing down pat. I actually had a bit of a "raised voice at a bunch of teenagers" thing the other day with a bunch of rude 12 - 14 year olds. Got my Mum voice on big time.

I have the opposite problem, I don't switch off and I don't ignore. It sends me bonkers, so I don't do it. Send me a spam email though and I will, but they had it coming :p

Pumpkin and hobartchic like this.
  15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

My kids also roll their eyes when I send a "thumbs up" to show that I've received their text. If I don't let them know, how will they know I've got it? :confused:

hobartchic and Lizzie like this.
  16. hobartchic

I tend to be the same sometimes. Too polite.

Some of this depends on context. Most people do not expect a response to every email for example and you can have "read" listed on some email applications. It just depends on importance. When there's a legal issue and I need to know something is received, it annoys me if it's not responded to in a timely fashion (5 business days for email/ letter).

Lil Skater likes this.
  17. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Here is my latest ignore trend incident

Bought a DVD off eBay off a seller with 8000 feedback

DVD arrived doesnt work, it wont load and makes crunching sounds

The cost to send it back isnt worth it. It was only $5

So i msged the seller and told them that it didn't work but I've left you positive feedback since it was probably working When they sent/tried it last, and it's not worth sending it back.

No reply

How rude. Makes me want to change it to negative feedback

18. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I had an incorrect item sent to me - it was only a $1, but complained, and the seller refunded.

The Y-man

19. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

yeah I should just do that from now on, I was being nice as I worked it out, the item was a second hand dvd, it cost them $3 to ship, $1 for the bag, so they probably made $1 on the sale

so many times these days I do nice gestures and then regret it!

Pumpkin likes this.
  20. KittyCat

KittyCat Well-Known Member

Ignoring does seem the new norm. Yes it's rude and not all young ppl do it. Probably depends on how you are raised. My friends are in their 30s or early 40s. The majority would send thank you messages, bring gifts if invited to dinner etc I couldn't imagine having friends who didn't share similar values.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia