VIC Is Hopper Crossing inferior and why?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by nonsleeper, 24th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. nonsleeper

nonsleeper Member

It did get mentioned here and there but few seem to be particularly interested and it tends to be slipped among other nearby suburbs, Truganina, Tarneit or Werribee. I was there today and it looks like a good place. My feeling is that Hopper Crossing has more of tradition and "spirit" than Truganina. Is HC inferior in some ways (safety, capital gain, infrastructure, services, etc.)? Is it unrecommended to jump to that pocket?

Elsie likes this.
  2. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

The area called - south of Synnot - in Werribee is probably better to live in, going off what's been mentioned here and what I know of it. The area called Birdcage in Werribee is generally what people say you gotta steer clear of. I drove around the area last week and during the day at least it didn't look too bad, maybe I was in the better pocket of the Birdcage (search for this keyword for exact streets). Market Road is a to-be avoided street according to a few locals there, probably because of the housing commission there. Coming back to south of Synnot, that's the area to the left of Synnot St when heading towards the zoo from Watton St. I missed out on a property there, 31 Tower Road, which auctioned for $520k, very nice house. You'll see a notable difference in the locale in this part of Werribee versus the Market Road area. Another decent part is the relatively new estate just off Railway Avenue (when driving towards Watton St from say Market Road). There's a house > 18 Conquest Drive Werribee Vic 3030 - House for Sale #125877054 - realestate.com.au that I quite liked, just over your budget possibly, but maybe worth a look.

Traffic wise, Hoppers may be better depending on location. If you're towards Sayers Road, you'll take a long time to get to the train station in the morning. If you're located off Morris Road, then it'll be better. I'm sure there'd be parts of Hoppers to avoid too, I'd suggest Googling.

Tarneit's taken off like there's no tomorrow, a ton of houses around there, an established home should be within your budget and not far from the station too. Lemme tell you the traffic there is particularly bad during peak hour because the geniuses decided single lane roads were great. Tarneit Road is being duplicated to help alleviate that pain, but as the new estates keep popping, the duplicated road is only a short term measure. Not sure about schools in the area.

All 3 have train stations, Werribee's got the select entry Susanne Cory High, which ranks very highly in the state.

How old's your child and would you be working in the CBD - if you dont mind me asking and we can then tailor our responses better?

Elsie likes this.
  3. Michael Barnes

Michael Barnes Active Member

Check out some of the schools in Hoppers, especially primary. highly rated. Pacific Werribee has also created a lot of interest. Being marginally closer to the CBD always bumps up the price a touch, too. I drove around Werribee and Hoppers a lot when I was purchasing there - I think both will do well long term...Hoppers reminded me more of the Hills in Sydney 10-15 years ago if you're familiar with the area....

Elsie likes this.
  4. nonsleeper

nonsleeper Member

Thanks. I have the feeling that Hoppers Crossing won't go too wrong in the long run especially for PPOR. My kid is almost 4 and I'm working in CBD. As mentioned in another post, we are thinking about buying the worst property at a good school catchment area around CBD, so that our schedule is not tied by the schooling issue (not to say that HC's schools are bad; actually I think they are decent).

Elsie likes this.