Is hong kong safe to fly through or stay over a night . in august rioters took over airport for a

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by justine77, 4th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

Is hong kong safe to fly through or stay over a night . in august rioters took over airport for a few days and 1000 flights were cancelled.

my daughter is about to book a bunch of us and she is doing it rhough hong kong as it much cheaper i wonder why?

of course the day after the 3 day seige of the airport the government of hong kong issues a statement of how safe it is to fly there and of course they should be trusted. they wouldnt be simply motivated by tourist $$$

just as my daughter recently in hurricane dorian in orlando was told to go there so they could get her $$$ while others were cancelling their flights.

is hong kong safe to flight through and stay over a night now or in a few months

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Are there any warnings on smart traveller or from the Stryne emabassy?

datto likes this.
  3. justine77

i'll double check but i think i saw from july warnings from several countries including australia on smart traveller . i'll double check where i saw it

4. justine77

my daughter isnt listening to reason as she wants to save $1000 on each person

5. justine77

smart traveller says

Last updated: 3 October 2019. Still current at: 4 October 2019.
    Protests continue and are less predictable. There is an ongoing risk of violent confrontation. Protests may cause traffic disruptions and affect transport services, including to and from the international airport. Protests can deviate from planned routes and spill over into public spaces. Shopping centres and MTR stations have been sites of recent demonstrations. If there are signs of disorder, move away quickly to a safe place. Avoid demonstrations, monitor media, and follow the advice of local authorities (see Safety and security). We have not changed our advice level: we continue to advise Australians to 'exercise a high degree of caution' in Hong Kong.

Expand all sections Collapse all sections
    Summary
    • Exercise a high degree of caution in Hong Kong. Protests continue and are less predictable. There is an ongoing risk of violent confrontation. If you are in Hong Kong, be alert. Plan ahead to avoid demonstrations by monitoring media and follow the advice of local authorities. If there are signs of disorder, move away quickly to a safe place. If you are planning to travel to Hong Kong, check our advice before you go. See Safety and security
    • 'Flash mob' demonstrations can take place with little or no warning, clashes between opposing groups and individuals have become less predictable and are expected to continue. Tourist and residential areas have been affected. There is a high risk of violent confrontation between protestors and police, or criminally-linked individuals. The risk is greater at night, on weekends and public holidays. There are also media reports of enhanced procedures by mainland border authorities of travellers to and from Hong Kong. See Safety and security
    • The Hong Kong International Airport and transport links to it have recently been disrupted by protest action resulting in significant delays, including the cancellation of flights. Further disruption to airport and other transport links is possible including the MTR, Airport Express and roads. Consider arriving at the airport well ahead of usual check-in times and be aware of extra security arrangements to enter the departure halls. Check with your airline or via the airport's website (www.hongkongairport.com), "HKG My Flight" app, or www.MTR.com.hk for updated transport information. See Safety and security

6. Scott No Mates

But it's $1000

7. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

Where are you going? maybe alternative is through Singapore check skyscanner and punch in few what if scenario and Vola, I am going to Japan have an option to go via HK with CP or Singapore I picked Singapore airline instead of Cathay

8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

As far as I could see, the rioters blocked access to the airport but did not get inside.

I would transit through Hong Kong but would not leave the airport.

My sister is flying home through Hong Kong next week. They have a 10 hour transit and had planned to leave the airport, but are revising their plans and will probably stay within the transit area. If they leave the airport, they may not get back in if the airport access is blocked.

However, before booking it is important to check if travel insurance will cover you if plans have to be changed - it almost certainly won’t as you know the risk.

TMNT, wylie and The Y-man like this.
  9. justine77

Exactly thank you .
    I was told people have flown without issues
    But getting in and out of airport is an issue some days

The rioters caused thousands of flights to be cancelled which insurance won’t cover .
    And it’s classified as an ongoing event which meant if flights r cancelled or delayed due to Hong Kong violence then travel insurance WONT cover that.

My daughter was thinking to stay over night to break up the flight but 3-4 hour connecting flights might b best . There will b a few young children travelling with us also .

10. Marg4000

Unfortunately there are no hotels within Hong Kong airport, so a transit stop is the safest bet. If more than a short time, there are pay lounges for a more comfortable stop.

11. Marg4000

It depends on when the flight was booked.

My sister is fully covered as they booked their flights last year, well before the riots began. Unless it escalates to a full-scale war, which no insurance will cover.

12. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

You will be ok, know people who have transited through HK a/p in the last couple of weeks

13. justine77

Yes I’m hearing about others too .
    Thanks for all info

14. FireDragon

FireDragon Well-Known Member

Hong Kong government announced bans on face mask today. The current situation may change and it's difficult to tell whether it will cause more or less protests. It's important to check the Hong Kong news in the next two days.

15. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Wan chai is a nice spot. Great yum cha.

16. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

I transitted twice through Hong Kong 3 and 8 weeks ago no problem. Only issue going into city would be if transport disrupted, safety wouldn't be an issue if you avoid protests.

17. Marg4000

The situation in HK is changing daily, so information from last week is not relevant.

Security at the airport will be tight, so I would be ok with a transit. Leaving the airport safety is an entirely different matter and I would not even consider it.

Shazi and wylie like this.
  18. Scott No Mates

They'd stopped the metro...

19. Marg4000

Or if entry to the airport is barricaded by protesters as happened previously. Passengers could get to the airport but could not enter, and many missed flights.

20. justine77

We ll do a 2-3 hour transit . Enough to stretch our feet and find the next gate and look around . I was told it can sometimes be packed at the airport so less than 2-3 hours can be too little to find gate if moving around is slowed down by throngs of travellers . We won’t oeace airport . I’m so grateful for all the helpful info j