Is he finally right?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 5th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Material Girl Premium Member

Last edited: 5th Apr, 2020
  2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

If youd believed him the previous times, you wouldnt have any sydney or melbourne property or share portfolio to lose anyway.

The bear cases are still the same. Focus on headline numbers. Unemployment is not as scary if newstart and other benefits are increased. There may well be sharp decreases in the median price as volumes drop and those that have to sell will have to sell cheap.

not to say it will be fun, but for some it might be.

it sounds a lot like the gfc. In the us unemployment passed 10%. But the sharemarket came off its lows (after losing 50+%) way before unemployment peaked.

The bear case focused on how everything would collapse, ignoring the one party with almost infinite power: the government. Then comes the defence that everything would have collapsed if the government hadnt intervened.

if you have a secure job and/or cash, this is a great time to look for buys.

DrunkSailor, Redwing, MTR and 11 others like this.
  3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

If he keeps making predictions, one day he might get lucky and get it right.

That will probably be way after I have left this planet :D.
    If these sorts of things were to occur, there would be “absolute blood in our streets”. People would give up on life, society would disintegrate in absolute chaos/violence, ... :eek:

Who would want to live through that? Won’t happen or won’t be allowed to happen.

Shazi, MTR, TMNT and 3 others like this.
  4. Propertunity

Propertunity Exclusive Real Estate Buyers Agent Business Member

The old saying comes to mind.......even a broken watch has the correct time twice a day. :)

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member Premium Member

I've never viewed Dent anything other than a self-serving coward who spins his poisonous narrative as it suits his own commerical agenda. He's the walking personification of being ' dead wrong' dozens of times over the decades. He has less than zero credibility in my eyes.

FYI I'm predicting Qantas will triple in value in the future. Yes I'm an economic genius. Buy my book :rolleyes:

MC1 likes this.
  6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

This gentleman may be right on the 60 plus percent on the worldwide equity markets as a lot of listed companies in some sectors like that are above that range and a lot outside this site would have considered throwing in the towel and settling for mediocrity ..
    This below has been over 50 percent and several other chain linked to that business model..
    Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd
    NYSE: RCL
    24.39 USD −0.43 (1.73%)
    Closed: 3 Apr, 7:56 pm GMT-4 · Disclaimer
    After hours 24.03 −0.36 (1.48%)

But property i would say no way as from all the time i have invested in property not one has ever lost 60 percent in value not even during floods cyclones high interest rates the fear of a new different Government with the robin hood steal from the rich policy never..

7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Or the adage : a bogan in the Druitt looks intelligent in a nicely photoshopped picture.

Anyway how the heck can shares drop 60% and yet there is a mining boom happenings ?

lol what if there's too much mining in WA and Perth breaks off as a separate island and floats off to Antartica. Did Bent consider that?

8. willair

shorty and datto like this.
  9. Brumbie

Brumbie Well-Known Member

kierank likes this.
  10. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

50% is an absolutely ridiculous prediction and even he knows that. 20% is a common sentiment but that doesn’t get people talking about him does it.....

11. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

What mining boom are we experiencing currently?

12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

None. But it could happen.

mickyyyy and Archaon like this.
  13. David_SYD

David_SYD Well-Known Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nothing but music to the ears for all those still wallowing in despair having invested in a hyper-inflated WA market.

I’ve still not seen any increased volume of new decent stock come onto the Lower North Shore/ Inner-West market since December 2019. The rubbish is still on there 3/ 4 months later. Even people trying to flog the crap are hanging onto it. Why? They don’t need to sell. They’re supported if they encounter hardship.

50/60% decreases. :D:D No chance.

14. datto

datto Well-Known Member

15. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

50% to be even remotely possible would require a credit squeeze which simply is not going to happen. If anything once the dust settles we may see even more easing particularly on HEM living expenses given how isolation will very much likely have changed peoples way of life forever.

np999 and kierank like this.
  16. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We have visited, even met Prince Leonard in his faded jeans and old cardigan!
    You haven’t missed much.
    It is simply a single large farm/property.
    Same as locking your front gate and saying no-one is allowed to enter your property.

willair and datto like this.
  17. willair

[​IMG]

MPORTANT NOTE RE: Currency!
    It needs to be noted that PHR accepts payments in bank notes of all major world currencies but is unable to accept any form of plastic card payments. For payment of Visas and any purchases you may wish to purchase during your visit you will therefore need to bring cash with you.

There are some slight difference with the way it is run,plus the bus looks like a good day out..

Plus only 5 bucks per night for camping..cash..
    [​IMG]

datto likes this.
  18. Phineas

Phineas Well-Known Member

Maybe. A stopped clock is right twice a day.

19. Propertunity

Propertunity Exclusive Real Estate Buyers Agent Business Member

Why don't you stop beating around the bush and tell us what you really think. :p

GoneFishing likes this.
  20. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

As a long term bull in both asset classes, I personally think 60% fall in equities is very probable. However for housing my money is on a 30-35% pull back. Sure there may be some areas that fall 50% but there also be some areas that grow! However as a blanket statement 30-35% is what I’m calling. Doesn’t seem to hard to fathom, we had a near 20% pull back only a year or so ago without all this madness and economic shutdown.
    Again as always if you don’t NEED to sell and you invested, not speculated, what’s the big deal if your sitting on a paper loss of xx%?
    Time is your friend, living within your means is your friend, spending less than you earn is your friend, saving/paying down debt is your friend!

Hope everyone’s in a good mental state!

Wattle, namrata and Anchor like this.