Is grout cleaning worth it?

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Propin, 6th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Steamed cleaned grout the other day. Really works!

craigc, Shogun, wylie and 2 others like this.
  2. BunnyXiao

BunnyXiao Well-Known Member

I was just going to ask about steaming and if it works. I also saved that grout cleaning product recommended. Good thread for me as I have a similar issue with a place I own

Propin likes this.
  3. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

It does take patience though. You have to go over the grout slowly and maybe a number of times if the stain is stubborn.

Last edited: 15th Oct, 2020
    BunnyXiao likes this.
  4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Will try this - I like el cheapo solutions.
    Using what...a carpet steam cleaner?

5. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Steam mop, as mine were floor tiles that needed to be cleaned.

Lacrim, Propin and BunnyXiao like this.
  6. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I rented out my house with light creme grout and white grout on the floor tiles while I lived interstate for two years. When I returned they were all grey. We were really short on cash, both of us unemployed and had to replace heaps of other damaged items property manager failed to recognise. I cleaned all the floors, etc with a grout brush, bicarbonate soda and vinegar. It worked but I wouldn’t recommend it, lol!!

7. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Do you know if it's good for mould stains also? Thanks

8. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

The Aldi grout cleaner took the shine off my tiles and chrome so sample test any product you use

Propin likes this.
  9. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Good to know, thanks. I got some photos back, it just looks like they haven’t cleaned from about a metre upwards. I think PM is calling it fair wear and tear but no official reports yet.

10. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I did a test on my kids bathroom that was getting out of control. It came up really good using long life eXcept for some bad black grout. I tried leaving it longer on a really bad spot - hour -but it seemed to stain it so follow the few minutes instructions. I did this a few days, will have another go in a few days. Left side is where I left it on compared to cleaning a few minutes later although left was slightly worse to start with. The grout in their bathroom tends to have black sand like spots in some areas.

Attached Files:

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

For patches where the grount is poor, stained etc you can always regrout that part. Just get the colour right as there are many versions of white / offwhite. Bunnings sell a few different products. There is a Davco regrout product that adheres well to existing grout and they also sell grout removal tools that arent costly. Warning - Take care with a diamond tipped remover as it will also destroy tile edges. A thin steel one may be smarter. A "V" remover might be sufficient and is fast for a whole shower etc where doing part can look patchy (you will be surprised how good it looks) . Tip : Cover drain with cling wrap or tape it. There is also grout paint but I personally havent tried as I think its likely to look like its a paint.

Regrounting is effective for old , mould and stained. I have regrouted prior to sale a few times and it can rejuvenate for very little cost. Reseal afer drying using a solvent based sealer

Propin likes this.
  12. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Fantastic advice! Thank you!

13. FrivolousPanda

FrivolousPanda Well-Known Member

Another thing is building inspectors I've used previously have looked at the shower and commented on the state of grout and seals around the wall and floor edges. So fixing it may avoid a minor negative comment from a building inspector.

Propin likes this.
  14. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I compared my property to other listings in the suburb that have been tidied up and sold for a good price recently. My tiles are much nicer than some of the cheap tiles used in other properties. I looked into who Wylie's friends used and he was an hours drive away from property. It's a franchise company and I liked the sound of my local guy so contacted him and got quotes for ensuite, bathroom, Kitchen splashback.

fritzsticker likes this.