Is gone know about membranes and paints to stop dampness cracking paint ?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by justine77, 10th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

We want to paint but one hall wall is damp And we don't want to go through the costly lengthy process to solve dampness by opens I v and injecting walls to cure dampness which I believe is expensive and messy and time consuming . Unless there r newest easier quicker methods we just want to paint .

I was told there are membranes to stop dampness cracking the paint so we can paint without fixing dampness

Anyone know about these or about any new easier damp solving methods or methods to paint and to stop paint flaking from I repaired dampness

Thanks

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

You need to fix the failed dampcourse by injection method or some other way of replacing the dampcourse membrane BEFORE you attempt to paint. There is no easy way AFAIK.

Perthguy likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'm with @Propertunity - you need to solve the rising damp issue as the moisture in the wall will cause the paint to fail (again). This will also cause long term damage to the cement render and to the brickwork if it is not stopped.

Products like Krystol are a cementaceous wall treatment which forms a crystalline barrier which grows into the wall but does not form a smooth key for paintwork - @bob shovel might add his 2 cents worth as well.

From previous jobs using this product, yes it works. Is it suitable for application on brickwork? Don't know as I have used it in subterranean lift pits.

4. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

bunnings said they have something called damp stop
    but again they said the plaster has to be removed to exposed brick and then put the damp stop on all exposed brick preferably from both sides of the wall
    one said is a big built in wardrobe so that wont be happeneing
    and its double brick also
    they said to try it.

they said that membranes are for showers to keep wetness out but if put where there is dampness in a wall they will rot

damp stop is to stop damp going out and ruining paintwork but would have to paint on exposed brick

so seems no easy answers

last time dampness wasnt repaired
    we pained and within 2 months paint on lower half meter of hall wall was all flaking

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I'm on leave at the moment but agree the damp needs to be stopped first.
    Can you get under and put in a damp course membrane type arrangement? Can that be done? Call a brickie and maybe they can take out the mortar and put something in then re mortar

6. Scott No Mates

8" ankle grinder, cut the lowest mortar joint of 4 bricks, slide in alcor, repoint up to 1/2 brick from each end. Repeat next 4 bricks. Lap the alcor over the other piece and repoint 3.5 bricks. Do other side. Leave a couple of days between each section.

bob shovel likes this.
  7. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I'd imagine if the product is being applied to the damp then it would struggle to adhere in the first place.

8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Actually, damp stop doesn't sound too bad - just had a look at it online.

However, if it has to be painted on bare brick, then that is what you must do. No question. Might be a cheaper option than retrofitting damp course?

Is there dampness in the walk in robe too?

9. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Emer clad.. Costs a fortune ..
    I hope this helps !

10. bob shovel

That's the go! As long as access underneath is reasonable it may be a good option.

I have decent reception tonight, I've been out at wittenoom stocking up on white gold! :D when asbestos comes back in vogue I'll be rich i tells ya! !

Scott No Mates likes this.
  11. Scott No Mates

@bob shovel - need some of that stuff for 'white anting' a site? ;)

12. bob shovel

The best way to do DD and ensure a BMV deal :D

Scott No Mates likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia