Is chapel Hill a good buy?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Madjazz99, 26th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Madjazz99

Madjazz99 Active Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Some of the houses and the area seems lovely at similar distance and travel times to CBD, but as you said there is no proximity to a major shopping centre or premier education facilities. I will pop in and have a look when I am there next. The Gap primary and high schools seem to have good ratings.

2. Tifoso

Tifoso Well-Known Member

Hi mate, it may not be a big deal to everyone, but for me it takes it off the table as a suburb I'd invest or develop in because it will be a big deal to some, who would instantly write it off as a place to live or buy because of the rail.

It is only a 10 minute drive to Indro, one of the largest shopping centres in Brisbane so that's a large plus.

There are all sorts of great things about the suburb such as the green hill reservoir, one of the largest off leash areas in Brisbane.

Kenmore State high I believe is the senior school in the catchment. Not sure about it's rep now. I know its massive though. Like 2000 kids from grade 7 - 12. A small part of Chapel Hill is in the Indro State High Catchment.

Madjazz99 likes this.
  3. Icarus

Icarus Well-Known Member

We had a family property in Nankoor St that we sold a little over 2 years ago for $850k, that backed onto Mt Cootha; it was a beautiful spot to live - the only slight downside was when BCC did back burning in the area, and possibly the lack of public transport which has been mentioned already; although I had no issue with either. The block was just under 800m2, which is typical for the area.

Driving into the city for work has its moments; Coro Drive is busy and Moggil Rd can get congested during peak hours...

CHSS is a lovely little school; has a fantastic reputation and was the preference for our children over any other school in the area.

Maybe the predominantly brick architecture isn't to everyone's tastes, but many find it very appealing and I can't think of any house in the area I'd label as 'ugly'.

I'm not sure whether huge CG is possible, due to the high purchase price; but a good friend has a lowset brick IP just around the corner from ours, and hasn't had any concerns with tenants over the 6 years he's owned it - and it receives a decent rent (is CF+'ve, but had a large deposit).

Would I buy there as an IP, hmm, not at this stage... Would I move back into CH in a new PPOR; a resounding yes - it is just a really beautiful suburb.

Madjazz99 likes this.
  4. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Lots of spectacular mid century modern architecture too (watch out for flat roof houses in summer rain tho)

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  5. Mobe9

Mobe9 Active Member

If you do look around Kenmore shy away from the southern end near Marland and Twilight st. There is a road corridor being preserved for the 4 lane Kenmore Bypass. This bypass has passed the technical and environmental studies, it is just being held up due to funding. I don't see this happening anytime soon but something to consider if your planning to buy and hold for a long time.

Kenmore Bypass Planning Study (Department of Transport and Main Roads)

Madjazz99 likes this.
  6. Madjazz99

Madjazz99 Active Member

I had a peek at some of the places in Chapel Hill this weekend. I really liked on of them, made an offer and has been accepted. So glad to have posted on this forum. Thanks for all the inputs provided here. Really helped as a sounding board.

7. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I have friends who live in Chapel Hill QLD and they are pretty well off, well pretty well off. It is a suburb where many are home owners/occupiers, low renters, with highest earnings, many live in homes, great schools, etc... Cannot go wrong IMHO.
    Also have a look at the demographics of this area:
    Chapel Hill, qld - Suburb Profile, Review

Madjazz99 likes this.
  8. Madjazz99

Madjazz99 Active Member

Can someone here suggest a good PM? Also, what sort of fees is normal in Brisbane?

9. Footeriny

Footeriny Member

Hey I think everyone is forgetting a major draw that Chapel Hill and this area around here has.
    The Legacy Way tunnel and the other tunnels linked to it.
    You are actually super close to the city via this tunnel and if your work will pay a decent chunk of the tolls, then it’s super quick in and out to those parts of the city.
    People with lots of money don’t stress about toll roads (not that I have heaps of money), but I can claim till use.
    We are just settling on what seems like a big place in Chapel hill and I work near RBH. It needs a freshen up as built 1970 but it’s pretty sweet on 725 sqm or something like that. Paying mid 7’s

Madjazz99 likes this.
  10. Madjazz99

Madjazz99 Active Member

The supply seems to be low and that is the reason the prices are holding up pretty well at the moment. Congratulations on the purchase! The fundamentals are pretty good for Chapel Hill as it has great education facilities nearby. Hope you settle down well and make happy memories at your new home.

11. Footeriny

Footeriny Member

Thanks for that.
    Yeah seems like a good spot to raise a family so yeah it makes sense for us for an owner occupier place.