VIC Is big tree in the backyard a concern?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by fearoffaults, 7th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. fearoffaults

fearoffaults New Member

Hi everyone. I am new here and would like to seek some general advice from the group please.

There is this newly built townhouse (duplex) on sale which has a large, tall eucalyptus tree in the adjoining neighbour's backyard right behind it. The tree canopy measures about 12m, overhanging the backyard of the property on sale, pretty close to the roof. The house on sale has a new lawn which looks really moist and a retaining wall that has been instructed to be built outside of the tree protection zone of the eucalyptus tree.

I know every case is different and it would depend on many factors to comment. Perhaps an arborist would even be recommended? But I am looking to hear what people's thoughts are with regards to having a big tree with the canopy overhanging your backyard close to your roof. Some of the concerns I could think of are fallen leaves into the gutters, fallen branches during a storm, growing roots looking for moisture in the lawn (or would the roots have stopped growing for a mature tree?) causing some damage to the property structure in the long term.

I love trees but am just not sure having it so close to a house is a good idea. Would appreciate any thought on this. Thank you.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

If I were you, I would walk away.

Leave the place for someone who would see the tree as an asset.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  3. fearoffaults

fearoffaults New Member

Guess I should have made it clearer that the tree is actually in the neighbour's backyard.

Still can think of it as an asset in the form of providing shade and natural habitat for the fauna I suppose.

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

That was completely clear from the OP. Same response.

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Trees, especially big ones, aren’t great near the home. Especially if it’s the neighbours, as you can’t remove the neighbour’s tree. I’d keep looking, if it were me.

Antoni0 likes this.
  6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe depending on the footprint of the block purchase a plan of the plumbing and see if the lines run near this tree as a large tree like that the root system will be in this property.. some see trees as a valuable asset while others who have experienced foundation damage and very costly plumbing maintenance problems they are a red flag to a bull..imho.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.