International Is anyone moving from international shares due to North Korea vs US problems?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by wylie, 10th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We pulled out $390k earlier this year (tax free) to reduce debt on a loan I had with stupidly high interest rate.

I'd love to pay off the debt, but not prepared to pay tax on the super to do so. We have plans to repay the debt without touching super.

So our super becomes "gravy" and if it continues to grow, I'm happy to let it grow.

I'm just nervous.

Brady likes this.
  2. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

A chart might help. It shows the wars including the Korean War in early 1950's. Provided part of the human race continues to exist after wars productive enterprise manages to somehow continue to prosper. Besides if a nuclear war of a major scale takes place the last thing you will be worried about is if you have too much in International shares:):
    IMG_0377.PNG

Snowball, Starbright, Anne11 and 5 others like this.
  3. Konn

Konn Well-Known Member

Really popular topic in Western media, most Koreans could care less. Propaganda at work or you could sum it up to ratings.

Nodrog likes this.
  4. wylie

That chart makes me feel much better, thank you for posting it.

sharon, Nodrog and Brady like this.
  5. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

You would have hated the Cold War saber rattling.

I think you are making the news fit your own concerns / risk tolerance. You don't have the sleep at night factor, but don't want to give up on growth either. No free lunch there I'm afraid. It sounds to me that you should likely dial down your stock exposure...didn't you post something similar in the last year about another event?

Anne11, Nodrog and el caballo like this.
  6. wylie

Yep. I was not born when the Cold War started, so no sleepless nights for me. :D

And you may be right about making the news fit my concerns. Hence my question to others to see if anyone else is worried.

And yes, I did post a question after the US election. I'm not a "shares girl" so was curious to know if anyone else was worried, especially those who are part of shares forums. I'm very glad to have seen the graph posted above.

7. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

The book i read from Bill Bernstein The Age of the Investors stated something along the line of it takes longer for your portfolio to rise in later years than when you are still young.

If you don't need to access the funds for the next 10 years then living in Intl shares should be OK, but less than that it maybe better to hedge by having say 60% in Intl shares and 40% in a less risky option?

wylie and Nodrog like this.
  8. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Very good book and great suggestion. But if she reads the Bernstein book(s) she's likely to end up with the lot in cash:eek::D.

Anne11 likes this.
  9. wylie

I'd never go to cash. That's a sure fire way to go backwards.

10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Used carefully, cash is a useful safe haven.

We rode out the GFC with virtually no loss by switching to cash and bonds for the duration. We got out of shares very early in the downturn when hubby got nervous (working in financial circles) and switched back in once the market stabilised.

However, cash and bond returns were significantly higher then than they are today.
    Marg

11. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Nope. I just wish I had cash to load up if it happened.

12. wylie

You were lucky Marg. I know people who moved to cash, and timed it badly. They crystallised the loss and then didn't move it back in time to catch the upward swing.

I didn't move out of the high risk option, and we dropped a fair bit, but caught up, and meanwhile hubby's salary was still going into super (salary sacrifice). It seemed nonsensical but we stuck with it, and once the tide turned, it rocketed up. I know it took nerves of steel to continue to salary sacrifice and also to leave it in high risk at the time.

I think if I was worried, I would choose a safe option that still earned something, but not cash. But I also never say never (and we are older now, with less time to play catch up).

13. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Certainly no loss at our end as a result of the GFC. We just stuck in there and continued buying shares with whatever cash / borrowed funds we could get our hands on. That's why I'm such a fan of investing for dividends, it's a lot less scary staying put when most of the income continues to flow into the bank accounts.

Of course total return investors will argue that the focus on dividends is basically a mental thing. But during these scary times I would suggest that it's the mental aspects that dictate success or failure. So it's critical that each investor knows what works for them psychologically. Unfortunately most won't know until they experience such an event or worse.

Snowball likes this.
  14. wylie

I probably should clarify this. I've been looking at the different "ready-made" mixes I can choose and some of them do have a cash component. I'm going to consider moving from "aggressive" to "stable" or even "defensive", both of which have some cash component. Both have been ahead of inflation without the heady gains we've had in the aggressive ready-made pot.

I can move once a month, so I'm tempted to move and then watch closely and move back to a more aggressive or even diversified ready-made once the shirt fronting and "playing chicken" games have settled down.

Interestingly, for two months our balances have been a little down on their peak, and today they are back to peak, and just slightly over. But there is a story about the sharemarket dropping today in the US as people are nervous.

My comment about never moving to cash was regarding moving absolutely everything to cash, which was something people did in the GFC. I know some people who moved to cash after things dropped (crystallising their losses), and then staying in cash too long and missing the upswing.

15. timetoact

timetoact Well-Known Member

Essentially you need to make a call on what you really think will happen, or what you think is most likely to happen. If you think the chances of war are high, then the best bet is to move a substantial portion into cash so your capital is both safe and more importantly prepared to take advantage of buying opportunities once the dust settles.

However if you are just nervous and think actual war is unlikely, best to sit tight with your current investment strategy.

Personally, I am smack bang in the middle of the fence. I think trump is a liability, potentially more so than Kim Jong-Un. But I am an eternal optimist and think that both of them understand the enormity of the consequences of this type of war.

Kim must surely enjoy his life the way it is and would be under no illusions that a post war life for him will be much less cushy. No matter how many targets his nukes manage to hit.

And trump, well, his life probably won't change very much, unless he makes an ill timed trip to Guam...

wylie likes this.
  16. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

There is not much difference in opinions within the share sites..Only that they know the stock market can crash but I would not use any of those sites as a measurement tool each poster will use a different number to anchor off thinking they are right..

17. chi.lam

chi.lam Well-Known Member

18. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

I sold all my US ETFs (denominated is AUD) a few months ago due to the political risk.
    Best decision ever, not long after, AUD appreciated against USD and if I haven't sold them, my profits will be significantly less.
    The Dows are at a historic high, forgive me for not having a lot of confidence in Trump Administration. That said, market crash usually happens when no one is expecting it was going to happen, so the world may experience a boom it has never seem before.

19. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

another day, a different problem....

Don't you love it.