Is anyone fixing soon?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by ATANG, 21st Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Have been wondering its wise to fix the loan now that the interest rate is at historic low and likelyhood of the end of rate cut?

WattleIdo likes this.
  2. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Depends if you want or need flexibility.

I fixed a portion of my PPOR loan last year, however that was before I started investing and wanted ready access to the equity.

I did fix the loan for my first IP as it will be a little while before I need to extract equity from it.

Redom likes this.
  3. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Seriously considering 50/50 for 5 years

4. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Portfolio Perth Brisbane Sydney Melbourne
    Couldnt you have set up another loan to extract the equity from the IP?

Redom likes this.
  5. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Ok. Will keep that in mind if/when I need the equity. I've only owned the IP for just over 3 weeks.

6. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Sounds a plan.
    I prefer to set up an LOC on top of my IP loan..then just keep topping up the LOC credit limit when ive had some CG, subject to LVR & DSR.

7. Richard Luke

Richard Luke Member

seek pro advice to your circumstances... but I'd be thinking... worthwhile considering.
    One thing everyone should be googling every day is APRA.

8. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

The thing is I currently have quite a discount for my existing loan, which would be the same for a 2 year fixed rate. Just wondering if its worth...

9. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Fixed rates are looking like their on the up for the longer maturities (5 years), quite a few have etched up in this market over the last few months.

10. Veech

Veech Well-Known Member

I am thinking of fixing 50/50 for 5 years as well. Looking at CBA , fix rate seem steep at 4.79 for 5 years though.

11. Mick C

Mick C Well-Known Member

Rate is one thing....flexibility and goal is very as important.
    if you fix there's a cost to break....and why would you break?

1. Sell

2. Equity ( if the val is short with your current bank OR you reached their servicing)

Ps 5 years has gone up with the Big 4 only...smaller banks are still doing decent 5 years sub 4.49-4.59 or lower.

2 and 3 years are currently still the cheapest ~ 4.19.

12. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Forget about the fixed rate itself for a moment.

Instead ask yourself 'why' are you wanting to fix?

Now go back to the fixed rate and ask yourself after weighing up the pro's & cons, am I prepared to pay that in order to attain my 'why'?

You will discover fixing is not about 'the rate'.

I hope this helps.

Hanison and Blacky like this.
  13. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

As long as it's not 50/50 of the same property.. If you're going to kill flexibility, do it for one property in full and leave the others flexible, just my opinion.

Rixter likes this.
  14. Veech

Veech Well-Known Member

Actually thats what I am planning to do. Fix one propety while leave the other one flexible.

15. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Cuz what i'm paying now seems to be quite stable and affordable. So i was thinking if this could keep the same for another 2, 3 years, that would keep my budget really stable and healthy. That is to say my current variable rate is the same as the 3 year fixed rate.

16. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I did think about it yesterday due to ANZ and CBA increasing their rates, however I really need the flexibility because still keen to do some more purchases. I guess if I was content, than probably would consider fixing.

DanW likes this.
  17. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I think in this current environment flexibility is better than anything else. With bank policy changing every 5 minutes. I just wouldnt want to lock into any particular bank considering they could change into a monster by the time your fixed period is up and the landscape could have changed drastically by that point and you may well be stuck with the monster. Whereas if you were flexible all the way you may give yourself the chance to run for the hills before the dragon burns down the village.

(Sorry I just started watching game of thrones).

ATANG likes this.
  18. eng

eng Well-Known Member

Redom what does that mean in laymans term?

19. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Correct, but you have the flexibility to refinance when it comes out of fixed.
    Based on the latest announcement 0.27 increase on most banks, it appears they're touch "existing" variable IP customer which I didn't see this coming. It is the IP in a fixed term they didn't touch. The new fixed rate they will change, but it seems still attractive in my view.

It feels like the tornado apra is coming, quick hide under the bunkers(fixing) for few years may be an option. Selling is the big down side to fixing. If you got a good fixed rate now, why would you consider refinance when you see this the dragon is still burning down...

our only chance to 'run for the hills' currently are the few 2nd tier, but what if they abandoning us? I can see a matter of time when they fill in the books...

the flexibility in variable loans yesterday may not be as flexible today.
    my view is that next rate cut, banks will only pass on to the OO and not IP loans. this would be a 0.5 differential point. I feel they might aim for a 1 base point differential between OO V IP loans.

20. Amalgam

Amalgam New Member

Winter is coming (in the IP finance world).

Fixing is hiding underground in suspended animation for 3 years, allowing the storm to pass, but no one knows what kind of world will be left when it's time to come out of hiding. It's a risk, but a different kind of risk.