Is Airbnb the future way to selling houses?

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by alps, 22nd Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. alps

alps Well-Known Member

Hi all,

A friend of ours sold one of the IP's to an Airbnb renter about the 12 months ago. The renter had stayed their twice, and loved the place so much that they made an offer on it. Both parties negotiated a little and sure enough a deal was done and my friend is very happy.

Last week another friend of ours found themselves in a similar situation with their Airbnb property. They did not want to sell though.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Can't imagine real estate agents liking it much given that they miss out on the commission.

2. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Try before you buy :)

3. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

We had a recent airbnb guest contact us a few months after staying asking if they could rent it for 6 months. If we didn't already have bookings during that time and they offered us about double what they offered (we charge $125 a night and they thought $450 per week was reasonable) we may have accepted it :)

4. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Interesting idea! What sort of property was it?
    We've got some inner city Sydney IPs and toying with the idea of converting them to AirBnb rentals...

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

A few times I've had people wanting to rent mine for extended periods. While it would be less hassle, I figured I make better money with the shorter stays.

I haven't had any offers to buy mine off me - But I have no plans to sell. I love the location.

6. Pentanol

Pentanol Well-Known Member

Yep, this is what I tell my wife too although the main reason why my wife prefers the longer stay is so I don't have to do as many cleaning myself each time. I do this to be more competitive in my prices against the other hosts as the market becomes more and more saturated. My only hope is that more people do sell their Airbnb places :p Trying to reduce my non-deductable debt in the next 12 months before we consider having a kid :)

7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I love multi week stays, but not if they want substantially lower prices. Still, I weigh up all enquiries - it's not an immediate yes or no till I give it some thought.