Is a commercial kitchen on a residential property possible?

Discussion in 'Development' started by KB_, 30th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KB_

KB_ Active Member

Hi,

Looking for preferably a WA town planner to advise whether the title is even possible.

A bit of backstory: my wife runs a medium risk food business (from a hourly hire commercial kitchen currently) and would like to do this from home. Unfortunately being medium risk this cannot be done from a residential kitchen.

Has anyone seen something like this approved previously? As we are looking to buy a new PPOR, we were hoping to find something with a 'studio' which could be converted. There is would be no retail sales from the premises.

Wasn't sure where to put the thread so went with re-zoning sub-forum

Interested to hear any thoughts.

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Why not phone the local council and ask?

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Can't say that I have seen a 'commercial kitchen' installed in a home business situation but I have seen a domestic kitchen used by caterers for their preparation etc then delivering.

No idea if it can fly under the home business banner. Depends on what is required to make the business operational - 25mm gas service (??MJ supply or domestic grade), fire services, commercial exhaust, make up air systems etc.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A council development application is likely needed. Call council and anon discuss. They may have issues with food standards ie fridges, storage etc, odours and emissions, fire suppression, hours of use, hand washing facilities etc. and if these can be compliant its possibly not a concern.
    Many of the TV / Book chefs have commercial grade kitchens and even film and photo on set at home. Mind you Matt Preston could probably afford a large house to fit it too.

Your insurer may also want to understand the risks as you may cross over between commercial and resi use.

5. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Yep, talk to your council and find out what their standards are.

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You will definitely need separate, dedicated hand washing facilities as well as the kitchen sink!

7. KB_

KB_ Active Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Unfortunately my local council are unable to provide any broad advise on whether it is something they would consider. I guess I could try another local council.

The intention would be to have the studio detached, or at least with only external access. The medium risk food business rules out using the residential kitchen from my reading of our local council guidelines.

Next step seems to be finding a council willing to answer some general questions.

Thanks again.

8. Paul@PAS

Chicken or the Egg ?? You need to find a property but councils wont give advice.....

A local town planner will have a better idea and may be worth the fee. They will also have personal contacts to ask more specific questions which wouldnt be seen as advice which is why they are reluctant to speak to you.

I was talking to a TP I know about this earlier (works for a Sydney council) and he suggested many councils are cracking down on dark kitchens for food delivery services. Usually illegally operated. Many are being shut after fires and complaints. He thinks unless its a passive form of food prep it may struggle. eh cakes sandwiches etc.Hot meals etc may not meet the requirements for the resi zoning.

Last edited: 31st Oct, 2019
    Archaon likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Might be worth going the whole hog and renting a tiny factory unit or poorly located shopfront (old corner store).

As others have pointed out, there will be some substanitial setup costs including the possible installation of a grease trap which no one has mentioned.

Paul@PAS likes this.
  10. Paul@PAS

Its also an option to rent a kitchen in the quiet time.

If a restaurant uses it kitchen for dinner and you want to use it in the am it may be a win-win. You may need to be out and cleared up by 3pm. Saw this discussed in the context of a dark kitchen by a food delivery operator. They prep meals in external dark kitchens in the mornings (incl other restaurant kitchens) where its packaged and then reheat and re-package into a delivery etc in the evenings elsewhere. Yep they microwave the meals to the extent possible.

Apparently its not uncommon for the landlord to own the fitted kitchen in a terminated lease. They may even like a short term deal.

LOL - George Colombaris has some idle kitchen space and needs the coin.

Scott No Mates likes this.