Irregular shaped land for build and hold for 10 years.

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Sherry01, 14th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sherry01

Sherry01 Member

Hi all,
    I am currently looking at a property which is irregular shaped ( attached image).
    I want to understand how much would this be to my disadvantage in case I go with a re-build after about 10 years. ( For example if I had to build townhouses, would this be challenging or expensive with this as a plot?)
    The property is about 8 years old currently so my strategy would be to buy and rent for atleast 10 years.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

That is unusual, although I still think that's better than most triangle shaped properties on cul-de-sacs. I assume this in a cul-de-sac?

3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

It really depends a lot on what is around it and its zoning.

And what are you hoping to happen in 10 years?

4. Sherry01

Sherry01 Member

Yes it is a court.

5. jaybean

Yeah I reckon it's better than most triangular shaped properties you'll find then. I don't think it's as bad as you think.

Sherry01 likes this.
  6. Sherry01

Sherry01 Member

I am trying to more understand as to what disadvantages do I have to buy a house with that land dimension if other things like what's around and neighbourhood character and everything else is favourable when compared to a regular sized land? Will it be difficult and or expensive to build in the future, would captial gains not be as much as had it been a regular land size etc?

7. jaybean

See this triagular shaped one?

[​IMG]

This is what it normally is. Hard to work with. The one you posted has many more possibilities.

8. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

For weird shaped blocks, I often say its most comparable to imagining it was a 'normal' shaped block with the same frontage. And the 'extra' land should be considered some extra yard or open space for that particular calculation.

ie. You don't really want to pay much more for it.

jaybean likes this.
  9. jaybean

I agree with this completely IF it was on a regular street. However there's one thing to consider: families who have no desire to sub-divide. Cul-de-sacs are brilliant with kids as there is less traffic and it's super quiet. There's a huge appeal for these families. For families who are purely after lifestyle (which is the market that is generally attracted to cul-de-sacs) they won't even factor in sub-division potential.

10. Sherry01

Sherry01 Member