Iron Ore $119 USD per tonne. How will this affect GST income and WA?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Illusivedreams, 2nd Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

willair and Dean Collins like this.
  2. Cmelderis

Cmelderis Well-Known Member

The Perth market overall is still going downhill thats for sure but many markets within Perth are stabilised now and some even going up. A lot of houses on my watch lists selling within 7-10 days.

3. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

where in perth, 10kmCBD?

4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Australia is suppose to be the largest producer of iron ore. With iron ore prices going up, the govt will be reaping heaps of dough in. And together with the lowering of interest rates, mama mia, the perfect storm is brewing. Something big will happen, I don 't know what, but its going to be big.

Redwing and Silverson like this.
  5. Illusivedreams

$123 USD today

Just going up at the moment.

Can some one find the estimate.

It was for every $10 the iron jumps the Federal government collects and extra $x in revenue.

6. Illusivedreams

A key thing to note 2 interest rate reductions and yet Australian dollar is firm at 69-70cents.

The iron ore is the big reason why the Aussie has not collapsed.

7. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Dean Collins likes this.
  8. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Surely if this trend continues and the government is reaping cash hand over fist that they have to use it to stimulate economic growth via fiscal policy?

9. frankjeager

frankjeager Well-Known Member

could you elaborate on that ? very interesting..

10. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's called Tax Cuts. Let people keep more of their hard earned money.

Fabs, craigc and ChrisP73 like this.
  11. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

short term thinking. The research does indicate that tax cuts moves money through the economy more quickly though but I don't believe it factors in big infra products gives longer lasting value to economy.

12. investoradam

investoradam Well-Known Member

Coal is actually Australia’s biggest export and been carrying Australia for the past few as well
    https://www.smh.com.au/business/the...-valuable-export-in-2018-20181220-p50nd4.html

The stuff in Queensland is of some of the highest quality coal in the world in the Bowen basin central Queensland ignore the Adani saga the past decade has seen billions of in new mines and expansions. Coal of all forms depending how it’s mixed runs inline with the ison ore as it’s needed to heat the ore and mixed in with it to form the final product

Over here in WA the inner blue chip areas have started to move and vacancy rates have come down but unemployment is still the highest or second highest in the country. Over the next 10 or so years there is around 108 billion dollars of construction projects in the works & that is the main driver of employment over here

The government is next to useless party A or B. The only real diversification we see in the budget is, iron ore, gold, nickel, lithium etc and meth or ice

The government has had it sweet for so long with the royalties cheque’s coming in it hasn’t really needed to do much to keep things afloat

HUGH72 likes this.
  13. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

i'd rather have tax cuts than roads to nowhere.

ChrisP73 likes this.
  14. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I'll try.

The way I see it, there will be too much pressure in the economy.

An analogous situation wouuld be for example, the recommended tyre pressure on my commodore wheels is 32 PSI. I usually give them 34. If I suddenly give them 44 and drive around then eventually ...... Kaboom! Blow out! I could also lose control and crash. The steering would be so light, it'll feel like I'm floating on air. Not to mention the uneven tyre wear.

15. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

I’d rather have fast rail connecting our major cities and regionals than tax cuts any day of the week.

As I’ve said time and time again. If you could live in say Echuca and be 1.5 hours into either Melbourne or Sydney CBD...
    Opens up double the employment opportunities and halves the price of houses with way more spread population = less central demand.

Archaon likes this.
  16. essendonfan

essendonfan Well-Known Member

I think there is a massive opportunity to build second tier cities (especially along the coast)

17. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

18. Coxy89

Coxy89 Well-Known Member

Tax cuts from windfall income is wasteful. You make permanent changes to govt revenue through temporary income. The prices wont stay high forever and in the next slump the govt will be talking about more services needing to be cut because of the reduced revenue.

Spend it on infrastructure, bring existing projects forward and smooth out the ups and downs in the construction cycles. If there is nothing that warrants the spend now lock it away for future use.

TSK likes this.
  19. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

+1 for this.
    Investment in good public infrastructure will bring long term benefit. Unfortunately, not many politicians think longer than 3-4 years. All they care is to be re-elected so most policies are just for short term to buy votes.

20. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

This. Howard Costello team really screwed gov revenue by making permanent tax cuts based on a temporary boost in revenue via mining boom - economic vandalism and hence one of the, many, reasons they considered economic duds.