QLD Ipswich where to buy

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Jayne11, 18th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

I’ve done very well by having historical underperformance as my first criteria.

cliff

Corkey and Hamish84 like this.
  2. TheYak

TheYak Active Member

Yeah seems like everyone investing in Perth at the moment is doing it for a similar reason. Affordability and the stage it is at currently in the cycle.

3. Hamish84

Hamish84 Well-Known Member

Very sound point. Prior performance doesn’t always indicate future performance. SEQ isn’t the same as it was in the late 2000s. And BCC certainly isn’t doing nearly enough to entice infill development (tall residential towers in Bowen Hills, Newstead and Southbank are a big jump from small-scale developments and small-lot housing in the middle ring) which will encourage people to flock to outer LGAs which are much more liberal in their town planning. Compare 2000s when BCC still had room for new housing estates.

4. Hamish84

I should have added, Raceview and Churchill don’t have the same quality of housing stock as Flinders View and Yamanto but there are some nice pockets. Churchill is very elevated but small, with some quality homes next door to older Queenslanders, a real variety. Raceview, meanwhile, has some very nice 70s housing stock at the Eastern Heights end, though some cheap late 90s/00s housing stock further south (built at the same time that nicer housing stock was being constructed in Flinders View and Yamanto). Check ya street view and you’ll be fine :)

5. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

But during that time the rent continued to flow in:)

[d4rk-fr3d] likes this.
  6. TheYak

TheYak Active Member

Yeah Google Earth has been my best friend in this process. Can generally tell a lot about a street by the cars in the driveway/on the grass + how long the grass is. Noticed some really nice streets in Flinders View

7. Hamish84

There are some beautiful streets in the area. Kensington Drive being the nicest in my view. Fairview Rise estate is also really lovely, though has a bigger variety of housing stock than other pockets as the developer was copying the Forest Lake model of having smaller lots, medium lots and larger lots all in together.

8. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

9. Hamish84

Not too surprised by this, although maybe I’m desensitised to high prices after watching sales come through for similar era lowest brick homes in 4305.

From memory this one was listed at 369+ which was way too cheap.

10. applesathome

applesathome Well-Known Member

I think the better location/closer to desirable amenities you are, the more you can sacrifice a few sqm of land. The further you are, e.g. if you make a bit of a compromise with location, you'll want a bit more land component to balance that out. I'm not totally against smaller blocks of 400-500, but I'd want to be in a premium spot of that suburb if that's the case.

That's just my very basic thought process.

Hamish84 likes this.
  11. JTools

JTools New Member

Just stumbled on this page. Finally got our pre approval in place - took longer than planned - and unfortunately the areas we were originally looking at are out of budget. Now thinking the Ipswich corridor. Can anyone tell me their thoughts on the eastern side of Bellbird Park? Am focusing on this area and Augustine Heights at the moment due to value for money and rental return. All in all this investment is for capital gains - our kids future deposit :) Thanks!

12. Hills123

Hills123 Well-Known Member

I bought in Augustine Heights mid 2021 - I’ve made some money on it, it also rented out super quickly - for a few months, stock levels were really low, but looks like it’s picked up again and there’s a lot more houses for sale - I’ll be watching the next few months how this will impact prices!

JTools likes this.
  13. luck beats skill

luck beats skill New Member

14. Hamish84

Did you consider elevation? Higher land fetches higher prices.

That’s the only thing I can think of. Or just the pace of market change?

15. Hamish84

Heinz57 likes this.
  16. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

:eek:

Hamish84 likes this.
  17. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if they got that price. Maybe if it was fully renoed and looked beautiful.
    Much better value around than that.

Hamish84 likes this.
  18. joogson

joogson Member

One thing that worries me about Ipswich is, in the past with lots of land available for development, the local construction sector has consistently managed to release more than enough supply ahead of the demand curve which has been a key reason why Ipswich has underperformed. Will this trend finally start to reverse or is there still plenty of land to develop over the next 10-20 years?

19. Hamish84

At the moment, that land simply can’t be released fast enough. There are houses in new estates in South Ripley selling for over $1m.

In the future, when things see more stable, perhaps. But places like Ripley are more an extension of suburban Brisbane than a result of demand to live in Ipswich.

trp35 likes this.
  20. trp35

trp35 Well-Known Member

Completely agree. BCC and RCC don’t really have many options left for new low density housing.

Moreton Bay, Logan and Ipswich still do. Ipswich’s population % wise will increase the most by 2040. There is still a lot of available land (even around train stations that go to Brisbane city), but the demand will only increase because other councils don’t have any good options for new low density housing.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia