Ipswich suburbs.

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Johnstone, 9th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Johnstone

Johnstone Member

Hello , I’ve been narrowing down my search in Ipswich on my second investment property.

I’m currently living in Sydney, so I’ve done most of my research online.

These are the suburbs I’ve narrowed down, which is still quite wide.

-Raceview.
    -Flinders View.
    -Silkstone.
    -Denmark hill.

Is there any streets that I should know to stay away from ?

Regards,
    Johnstone

2. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I think great picks out there. Very close to Ipswich CBD too. I would personally skip Flinders view in favour of Raceview and Denmark Hill.

Flinders view has a lot of free land which reduces Your scarcity factor. While raceview is pretty much has no land free, increasing scarcity and potentially capital growth.

I believe Silkstone is very close to old mines which increases the chances of ground movement under the property. So I would personally skip it too.

3. Lawrence Barnes

Lawrence Barnes Well-Known Member

Ipswich has many issues as "Noobieboy" has mentioned. You need to be careful of flooding as we witnessed back in 2011 and it hit Ipswich hard. It took about 4 years for property prices to recover after that. Mines are another issue so you have to do your research. Ipswich in general has a lot of land available keeping prices down. Ipswich is cheap with good rental yields but it's not going to make you rich.

4. Danmicb

Danmicb Well-Known Member

Inner Ipswich suburbs performed the best last year up over 10%. id stick close to the cbd and Denmark hill is a sought after area there and you can see that in the prices. Its usually rare for properties on Denmark Hill to go up for sale. There are definately some good pockets/streets nearby and decent value and yield. Also if buying there - aim for what the emotional o/o moving here want: character houses (or qlders), decent sized blocks (min 600m2), flood/mine free, and walking distance to amenities/parks etc. if you can find one that needs a basic cosmetic reno and has solid bones - good ad value potential. see a few flips here in the last year do alright

5. Skinman

Skinman Well-Known Member

Raceview has some ground movement issues as do other parts of Ipswich. Talk to a good local agent or even better a building inspector who should be able to give you some advice of general pockets to avoid. When we purchased there the first 2 we had under contract fell through due to significant structural issues caused by ground movement.
    Also as mentioned by others you need to study the flood maps when buying in the area.

6. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Raceview is a pretty big suburb and think ground movements are mostly restricted to the east (closer to Silkstone) where the old mines were. Otherwise the are closer to Ipswich (the suburb) should be fine. But yes, research the maps as ground movements may happen anywhere really. Even on the moon.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  7. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

I think it would be worthwhile moving the Silkstone selection a little further to the CBD and have a look at Newtown and Eastern Heights. Closer to the CBD and some really nice pockets of OO housing.

8. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

You can't really go wrong with all four of those suburbs.

Denmark Hill is definitely the premiere area of the four mentioned, which will be reflected in a price premium. Raceview and Silkstone have some serious ground movement so I wouldn't touch a slab-on-ground construction anywhere near that area, but older style homes cope with it well. Flinders View is a solid pick for a more modern home.

There are better and worse streets, but none in particular that stand out as "RUN FOR COVER".