QLD Ipswich suburbs

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Mabelle20, 30th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mabelle20

Mabelle20 Well-Known Member

Hi there, just after opinions on Ipswich in outer Brisbane. I can see very affordable prices, good rental returns but like all satellite cities, has land around which could be developed with McMansions which of course will affect CG of older properties.
    Have heard a few good murmurs about Ipswich- budget is tight at around$200- 230
    Looking at longish term commitment- 10 years??
    Any advice or suggestions on suburbs will be much appreciated as I've been procrastinating for years and am doing my head in.
    Cheers

2. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

My brother just bought a beautiful character house in a good zone, on a big block, yielding 7%, cheap.
    I'm actually very jealous. He is better at this game than I am.

James G, Luke T and larrylarry like this.
  3. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

@Mabelle20 my wife and I have just recently bought a high set house in Ipswich (Eastern Heights) right on your budget for $230,000. Had to find a new tenant during settlement period (no problem) and is now rented at $295. I was attracted to Ipswich for several reasons, the main one being;
    1 - Infrastructure and investment which is underway and looking to bring growth to the region.
    2 - Forecast predict that the population will more than double by 2030.
    3 - Lack of competition when compared to buying in other Brisbane/SE Queensland markets (this is changing now).
    4 - The general feel of the area for me is much nicer than comparatively priced areas in Logan and in the north.

If you want some more information on the area I am happy to get you some reports which can help with your analysis and may get you to take the next step?

When we were in the area looking at properties weliked the look of Newtown, Eastern Heights and Silkstone. Advantages for me were proximity to University, CBD and parkland/recreation areas and it was at no premium to surrounding suburbs. I avoided flood affected areas. I think with some hard nosed negotiation you may be able to get something decent in these suburbs. Otherwise, areas like One Mile and Leichhardt offer good proximity to the CBD however, come with a bit of a bad stigma which is slowly changing for the better.

It gets to the stage where you have to stop reading/analysing and start doing. Analysis paralysis is a common thing. The best course of action for this is action (buying). Once that resistance is broken subsequent purchasers become all the more easier.

4. Mabelle20

Hi Bran, Yes, I'm looking at more character places- more upkeep but I think will be much more desirable in the future if the area does surge. Can you remember which suburb? I haven't been there for years and even then only in the centre of the city, so not familiar with the feel of each suburb.

5. Mabelle20

T
    Thanks so much Mick,
    Yep this is where I always seem to be at. I'd love to see some of the reports you have or even if you could direct me where you found your research that would be great. I'm in Melbourne so hard to get to have a look and am doing research before travelling to inspect. Your info is much appreciated.
    Cheers

6. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

hi @Mick Butterfield ,

congratulations on your purchase. Can you please share your analysis with me as well.
    Thanks in advance. :)

Regards
    Ashish

7. Mick Butterfield

PM sent

8. Mick Butterfield

PM sent

9. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Not 100% sure, but at this stage I'd rather not say anyway. It's early days.

10. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Booval Silkstone East Ipswich - any of the old areas close to CBD for character properties. And plenty of Ipswich is flood free.

Mick Butterfield likes this.
  11. Mick Butterfield

I too feel that anywhere in the 'Inner East' flood free is a good option atm.

12. Proper Property

Proper Property Active Member

Hi Mick,

Would it possible if you could share through your analysis as well?

Thanks,

13. Mick Butterfield

All good mate i just need an email.

14. Proper Property

Proper Property Active Member

No worries. I just sent you a PM.

15. Danmicb

Danmicb Well-Known Member

Those interested/have an interest in Ipswich CBD and local suburbs 4305

Is 2016 the year for property in Ipswich?

Thoughts? I'd have to agree with the sentiment. Increasing competition/demand for well located character houses.

16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Something to think about.
    We have a good friend who lives in Ipswich. He had a character home in Booval for over 10 years and loved the location, until every second property in the street was being torn down and replaced with units or apartments. The couple couldn't move out fast enough. Being sandwiched in between two storey concrete walls isnt pleasant. Same for a lady we know in Manly.

17. Danmicb

Danmicb Well-Known Member

Where does your friend live in Ipswich now? Have you or are you considering investing in the area?

Many inner suburbs of Ipswich are character zoned so depending on where you buy, the aforementioned scenario doesn't always have to be the case. That being said zoning can always change. The old world feel of Ipswich (which is the best part of the area) is a major drawcard that I believe the council wants to play to its strength, so will not let existing suburbs close/walking distance to the cbd/parks become over run with dull and uninspiring units/houses. People come to the area just to see these properties and the history. Personally I think, as long as you avoid these areas/streets with unfavourable zoning, the more units that replace other character houses further from the established CBD suburbs will make the existing ones more scarce and desirable.

flyhere and Mick Butterfield like this.
  18. Propertyman

Propertyman Well-Known Member

Hi @Mick Butterfield,

Is it possible to get a copy of the reports too? I have just started looking into the area.

Thanks

19. markson

markson Well-Known Member

20. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Where's pauline Hanson?

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia