Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

IPs you'd love to live in

Discussion in 'General Property Chat' started by ellejay, 15th Oct, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Do you have an ip you'd love to live in, but can't for whatever reason? The very lovely and amazing @JacM recently helped us to buy an IP in Hoppers Crossing. We lived there for a tiny wee while until my long suffering hubby could paint over the crazy décor ready to rent out. But we fell in love with the area, slotted right in there. That's a big deal because we hate cities and love the country, but this place had everything...it just felt right. Couldn't really live there as retirees, but it's a fantastic spot and I still think about being there for some of the time. Never lived in my ip in Shellharbour, but dreamed of it for a couple of years, a short stroll to the lake and the beach (doesn't fit with mountain loving hubby lifestyle)...Then the one in Napier, New Zealand and Abel Tasman New Zealand. Don't even go there...what husband?!!! Not boasting because the bank owns all of these ips :) but are you emotionally tied to any ips? Do you dream of being there, if only for a short time?

EN710 likes this.
  2. WattleIdo

WattleIdo renovating Premium Member

This one in Parkes. Also owned by the bank but allows me a 'semi-retirement' at this point in time with the slow-growth economic climate. Long winter walks with dogs, friendly neighbours. Will be hard to leave once the house is painted and bathroom done.
    Wow, I sure needed some time off. Actually, I still teach one or two mornings a week.

ellejay likes this.
  3. Gockie

Gockie I'm an ISTP-A female, so I might be a bit quirky! Premium Member

Yes 2.... 1. Darlington.... Great spot, stroll to city and Redfern Trains but that property gives such a strong return as a short term rental. I can only think of the future of it too when CBA moves 10k of staff to Australian Technology Park, an easy 10 minute stroll away.

2. Birkdale. Beautiful spot, holiday feel, great neighbours, lovely water views. Wake up to the chirping of birds, walk to the bay and just live the good life....

I can't move though cause we bought the mother of all/never ever to be repeated brilliant PPORs in Sydney.... (i've just put it in my avatar). Fact of the matter, we are not going to turn a home that's rather exxy into an IP (partner wouldn't allow it!) It's a "never sell" home. (I won't mind escaping Sydney's winter for a few months every year though as a compromise)

Last edited: 15th Oct, 2016
    Toon and ellejay like this.
  4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Gockie, you will have to come up to Birkdale every time you are between tenants to "clean" or mow the grass or something :) O that's right, you already do.

G TOWN and Gockie like this.
  5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I could live short-term in our townhouse at Scarborough but i think i'd get too claustrophobic after a while. As I keep rubbing it in, it is one street behind the beach and a five to ten minute walk to the cafes.

Toon and ellejay like this.
  6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Yep. We moved in the day after settlement because we loved it. Old Queenslander

Toon and Gockie like this.
  7. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

We generally only buy what we would be ok living in.

You really like Hoppers ? We were looking close by, and did not end up with anything, the boss really does not like Melb nor the people we encountered (lot of housing there), cash returns not good, so that was that for now.

Toon and The Y-man like this.
  8. D.T.

D.T. Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

Don't think I'd live in any of mine :(

Whitecat, legallyblonde and SOULFLY3 like this.
  9. Gockie

I've got a flipside story. A colleague bought an OTP IP and it just settled. Now there are a 100 or so very similar apartments for sale and there are huge numbers available for rent. He reduced his asking rent from $650 to $520 and there are no takers. I suggested he could Airbnb it. He is thinking he could move his family to live in the apartment and they can rent out their current PPOR instead (which will rent reasonably easily even though it hasn't been well maintained....).
    I think the upside to the OTP purchase will be a long time coming....
    It's not a mining town, but it's simply suffering from massive shortterm oversupply.

10. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I did really like it, but we were only there for a while. We didn't meet any undesirables, but I'm sure they're around. Agree the yields are not wonderful.

11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Where is this? In Sydney?

12. Gockie

Hills District. The train line will come, but it's not expected to be completed till 2019. Until then, the transport in the area will increasingly be sh#t.

Re: oversupply, they completed 7 towers and all the stock was released all at the same time. Not very smart.....

Last edited: 15th Oct, 2016
  13. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Why is that, mainly location, the company or the dwelling/s (or no power ???) :p

The housing is more across in the neighboring suburb.

Would not mind some farming land near there, but all too expensive now.

14. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

No, not until we make our current PPOR an IP I think. Would love to have one in an awesome location one day :)

15. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Definitely !

Always trying to convince the family to sell the PPOR and move into our IP at North Ryde.

Nice place with a granny flat, opposite a park, walking distance to the trains and a nice club. But best of all - the price differential would be enough to retire on.

Alas - none of them will consider it.

Terry_w and ellejay like this.
  16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You know the location and yes, we spend time there each year (good hospital too ;) ). We still might pick up something in the area again that we could move into permanently giving access to Hotham, Falls and Buffalo.

The joys/risk of OTP - all properties are settled in a short time frame and you're out of luck depending upon the mix of owners/occupiers/investors with countless properties hitting the market at the same time (rentals and flips).

I don't think that I could live that far from town ;) A great area, which will continue to come under pressure for redevelopment.

17. DaveM

DaveM Adelaide Buyers Agent & KFC Strategist Business Member

I could happily live in a couple of mine... mostly the regional ones as I would like to move regional at some point. The one in Golden Square in Bendigo comes to mind, nice big 1020sqm block for the dogs, and big deck.

ellejay likes this.
  18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member Premium Member

None:)

19. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member Premium Member

I'd live in any of our IP's quite comfortably.
    All well located and practically new, and all better than anything we have ever lived in apart from the most recent PPOR.