Technology & Social Media IPADs

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Scott No Mates, 19th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

I had an IPAD3 64gb and it was also fine. I broke the screen dropping it on it's corner on tiles but I replaced the digitiser (glass) myself and it was still fine. It didn't slow much, mine annoyed me with it's battery life more than anything. It's now DH's and I bought a new gen 5 128gb and so far so good...

2. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

First thing to find out is what are they using the iPad for? If they are developing apps then the latest is probably useful but if they are playing games and running apps, get them to show you what the problem is. If they can't do that then I would stick with it or upgrade to the second most recent model.

I used to upgrade tech just so I had the latest but now I don't bother, my computer is 5 years old, my Tablet is about the same, they both "work" just fine for my needs, if they break or are no longer able to do what I need I will upgrade to the second most recent model. Let the early adopters deal with the crazy "just released" prices :)

Kassy likes this.
  3. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

I've got two iPad minis, the first one is about 4.5 years old the other is about 18 months.

Older one was lagging badly and not working with my apps for the business, Mr 5 claimed it and now he uses it for Youtube/Netflix/drawing etc. When it lags I check the memory, updates, apps that are running, turn off etc. and it works fine.

I think it depends on the age of the kid and what they're trying to do with it. If they're only using it for games/pleasure I think they should work for it, not just get it because it's lagging. If they're having trouble using it for educational purposes and apps cannot work because the software is too old, then I think that's a little different.

Mr 5 won't be getting a new one until apps stops working for school and/or when my current one gets too old to run my business apps and I need to upgrade.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  4. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Still on my original iPad Air. Going as strong as the first day I feel. Is still in the upgrade loop for iOS 11 which is nice.

5. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

So - I got a second-hand iPad the other day.
    Problem - it's still locked.

How on earth do I reset the whole thing to start again? I don't have the old owners Apple ID or passwords or email address etc. Any ideas?

6. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I would go back to the person you "got" it from.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Or to the Apple Store to get it reset.

8. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

@qak - it wasn't stolen. Garage sale. And they don't live there anymore. Any other ideas?

9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

10. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

@geoffw - thanks. I will try it.
    Also with regards to Apple store - would they ask for proof of purchase or something? I didn't ask for a receipt when I got it at a garage sale (it wasn't charged and it didn't come with any cables or anything - they were not even sure it still worked).

11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, I don't know how that works. We had new iPads.

12. Zeehan

Zeehan Well-Known Member

For me, nothing has ever come close to Windows 2.3. Ha!

13. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Don´t know why people still buy ipads when equivalent (/better in my opinion) android devices are so much cheaper. Apple has less than 5% of the market here in Spain. I was amazed on a recent trip back to Oz that my nieces & nephews had to have ipads for school, no alternative. Something wrong with that.

sharon likes this.