IP3 vs Shares?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Realist35, 30th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Realist35

Realist35 Well-Known Member

Evening all:),

We are thinking of investing 100k in IP3 Vs investing in shares. If we go for IP3, it would have to be a high yielding property due to our serviceability limitations. If we buy shares, it would probably be an index find or an ETF.

Our portfolio is worth 1.1M with the LVR of 88%. It's negatively geared and yearly holding costs are approximately 5k. I suppose if we buy 100k worth of shares with 5% dividends, we can use the dividends to pay the holding costs of our property portfolio or we could just reinvest the dividends.

What would be a smart thing to do in our circumstances?

Noobert and Northboy like this.
  2. Realist35

Any thoughts:)?

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I'd got REIT as indicated to you before by PM.

The Y-man

Realist35 likes this.
  4. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I think you may be on the right track. Look to offset any non deductible debt as well.

Realist35 likes this.
  5. Realist35

Hold on, I'll need to Google again what REIT stands for lol

6. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Real Estate Institute of Tassie ;)

Whitecat, oracle and Realist35 like this.
  7. The Y-man

Real Estate Investment trust - where basically a manager pools investors money together to buy commercial properties, and split out the rent net of fees and costs back to the investors in proportion to their stake.

Happy to PM you some links.

The Y-man

Whitecat and Realist35 like this.
  8. Realist35

Ok so buying shares would be on the right track:)?

No non-deductible debt here, no PPOR:).

9. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

If the reason you're buying the shares for the 5% yield, then there's really not much different to putting the $100k into an offset account. Rates on your properties are likely to be almost 5% (if they're not there already, they will be in the near future). Ignoring the tax, there's no gain and likely to get worse as interest rates increase.

No problem with investing in shares, but do it with a goal of getting more than a 5% yield.

Whitecat, vbplease, mcarthur and 2 others like this.
  10. Realist35

Thanks:). But that's property again (although commercial). Wouldn't it be better to buy shares for the sake of diversification?

Whitecat and Northboy like this.
  11. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

The rates vs the yield are probably the same now, but by buying into shares (LIC's/ETF's), wouldn't you also have potentially another appreciating asset?

12. The Y-man

Possibly - but most people already have shares in their super, and no commercial.

The Y-man

Realist35 likes this.
  13. Realist35

Yes, that's exactly the reason I'm looking into it.

However what I don't like about shares is their high volatility. For example if I bought ASX200 in 2007, I would still not have recovered the losses 10 years later. In my eyes that makes them look like a more risky alternative to property. Or am I missing something?

I've been trying to find a study showing a performance of shares vs property over the last 20 years in Australia?

I did find a study (see the link below), but it compares unleveraged shares vs unleveraged property and leverage shares vs leveraged property.
    ASX - Request Rejected

It would be nice to see how unleveraged shares with dividend reinvestment compared to leveraged property, as that's typically how it's done.

Maybe @The Falcon or @Terry_w would have some data?

Whitecat likes this.
  14. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Good point. With interest rates nearing/above 5% for home loans, if you have a PPOR/non-deductible debt then presumably share return (CG + dividends) needs to be above 5% to compete with keeping the money in an offset. While still working, then tax on the dividends is also going to bite - 6%+ return is needed.

On the other hand, if you're doing this with an IP and not PPOR, then at least the loan is deductible, but your costs are high - I use 25% of income, which would mean a gross yield of 5% is about 4% before tax (or around 4.45% after tax negatively geared) which is less than PPOR offsetting.

@Peter_Tersteeg, what pure dividend yield do you feel is needed for the shares? (I'll assume for these purposes that CG for the shares and property are the same)

Of course the best benefit is when having a PPOR and IP, and using funds borrowing against equity in either one (preferably PPOR I would think?) to purchase dividend yielding shares at PPOR or IP interest rates, and debt reduce the PPOR over time.

15. The Y-man

@mcarthur

Remember many divs carry franking credits.

The Y-man

16. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I could quote buying properties in mining towns just before the bust as a more risky alternative to shares.

We can all cherry pick dates to support any argument.
    Marg

17. b0b555

b0b555 Well-Known Member

You are only looking at the price index. If you include dividends (i.e. look at the accumulation index) shares are well above their 2007 peak.

ollidrac nosaj, Foxdan and Realist35 like this.
  18. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

If you bought in Perth in 2007-2008 nearly 10 years later there are some properties that have still not recovered to their previous boom prices. That is more risky alternative to diversified portfolio of shares (like index fund / LIC) when you consider you would have used leverage to buy property. Or am I missing something?

Cheers,
    Oracle.

Realist35 likes this.
  19. Realist35

Do you have data that would include dividend reinvestment by any chance?

20. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I agree. And cherry pick good and bad examples of property or share investments too.

Seems like a fairly pointless general comparison apart from one main difference I can think of - the amount that the investment can be leveraged.