Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

IP Safety

Discussion in 'General Property Chat' started by Jeah_, 7th Nov, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Jeah_

Jeah_ Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure where this belonged, so I threw it in General.

We are about to rent out our PPOR as an IP and are in the final stages of getting it ready. My question relates to something I was thinking about while walking around doing a few jobs today.

The house is set in to a slope (sloping down from the backyard to the street) and that means there is a set of stairs to enter the house, and a front porch/verandah. The stairs have a hand rail, but the verandah only has posts to support the roof and there is a drop of about 1.8m over the front. The house was built in the late 80s, so not sure if requirements have changed over the years.

So, long way of getting there, but to rent the place out, do we have to fit a hand rail and make the area safe or does the tenant rent it on an 'as is' basis and the onus is on them. Is there some kind of waiver we should get signed and would that even hold up? Hoping someone may have had similar issues or a property manager may be able to assist.

Thanks for any help.

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I think a builder is able to tell you whether there is compliance. You owe prospective a duty of care.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Solicitor, Finance Broker, CTA Business Member

You should probably minimise any dangers. Slip and fall legal cases are common.

See this recent case where friend sued friend because of slipping on some steps.

Schultz v McCormack - NSW Caselaw

Jeah_ likes this.
  4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker - Australia Wide Business Member

I would put a handrail in regardless - if a kid fell off you wouldn't forgive yourself and by posting this you recognise it as a safety issue.

Ha - I was about to mention that case Terry, but you beat me to it! :)

Jeah_ likes this.
  5. DaveM

DaveM Adelaide Buyers Agent & KFC Strategist Business Member

Code requires a rail on a drop > 1m from memory. Not restrospective but putting in a balustrade isnt tonnes of money and a good safety measure especially if surface can get slippery.

bob shovel and Jeah_ like this.
  6. Jeah_

Jeah_ Well-Known Member

Yes, you're right. Cheap insurance i guess.

Thanks all for the replies. Another job for Monday.

7. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Consider getting electrical and gas safety inspections done, particularly if the property predates the era when safety switches became the norm. Inspections may not necessarily show up any issues that need urgent attention.

Point is that someone qualified has checked. It shows that you have taken reasonable steps to ensure the safety of the property, should any electrical safety or gas safety issue occur down the track.

Jeah_ and Terry_w like this.
  8. Terry_w

Terry_w Solicitor, Finance Broker, CTA Business Member

And makes them jointly liable. A good reason to use an agent too.

Jeah_ and wombat777 like this.
  9. Jeah_

Jeah_ Well-Known Member

Yep, @wombat777 , we have already had smoke alarms and ESS fitted. The gas is only LPG bottles to the cooktop and was installed about 5 years ago. The compliance plate is still current until 2020.

I guess after the money we have spent so far, I was having a brain fade moment of angst at the thought of more money going out. I should have really answered my own question; common sense I guess

10. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Throw a few different angled pics up of the front of the house and balcony and we might be able to provide some affordable but suitable ideas.

Guessing the place is in good old Newcastle (had a few big nights at Fanny's 30 odd years ago)
    If not aware - Being_a_landlord