IP - Melb - External and Internal Cracking

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Ed5000, 16th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ed5000

Ed5000 Member

Hey all,

A friend of mine has a flat in the South East - built approx 1970. Block of 7 flats on a corner lot. 4 flats at the bottom, 3 on top. 2 br unit.

His unit having some issues with cracking and movement - at this stage it has only affected the 1 unit (his) which is on the bottom corner of the property - started becoming apparent about 5 years ago. Patched up and painted twice in the last 5 years - cracks reappear after awhile. No other units have had this issue yet. Cracking in the hallway, bathroom and kitchen. Bathroom seems to be the worst and it is between the wall and ceiling. Probably 1 cm wide at least. The movement has also caused a few of the internal doors to be difficult to open/shut.The body corp obtained a structural engineers report which suggested removing some vegetation in the common areas. This was done 4 months ago. Don't believe this had made much of a difference. Next recommendation was to have a CCTV test. This is being done currently but they aren't expecting anything out of the ordinary. Not really sure what the purpose of this was.

Next recommendation was underpinning. The body corp has suggested approaching Uretek to get a quote? Any recommendations out there for similar companies or underpinners?

My understanding is that Uretek uses a resin to lift up the property and underpinning will be work done directly to the foundations. Is there a preference? Which is better for the long term?

My research indicated that prices can be similar.

Good thing is that the costs is to be split between the 7 lot owners. On the flip side, gettin things like this done through a body corp with some non-responsive owners will be quite the hassle.

Cheers!

2. Ed5000

Ed5000 Member

3. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I would approach Urutek. I've seen their work here in Parkes on the court house. Looks pretty good. Another member from SS (Almost Bob) recommended them. He's someone whose opinion I trust on these matters. In general, I'd give them a call and see what you think as you go. Makes sense t o me.

The Y-man likes this.