VIC IP in VIC

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Jonty, 14th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

All these volume builders use contracted builders carpenters - there would definitely be the odd one out. Again, if you're not living in it. why would you want to change too much adding 5k here and there and it all adds up to the total cost of build hence reducing your return and also valuation.

Best i think is to retrofit in the items if the volume builder charges too much. Stuff i think you should put in which is non-structural - are stone benchtops (as laminate can only last so long with tenants) and solar (for no or lower utility bills - big bonus i feel)

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Yep :)
    The only issue is, I'm looking for PPOR build so lot's of 'wants':oops:
    @sash Sherridon has pretty good deal with driveway as inclusions, evaporated cooling, high ceiling, flooring etc.

3. melbournian

very true my thinking is very similar to you - low cost land + low cost build which include mods like AC fencing etc and you still below the median and what the market is selling.

4. melbournian

Flooring - should be done by the builder. If you do the flooring later - it looks crap with the beading against the skirts and against your kitchen. The volume builder knows this and will use it to try to get the owner to pay more.

Landscaping and driveaways are not that expensive, driveways range for $60-70 per sqm.with cleanups. So you can have extra concrete in the back if you need to. Most landscaping offered by volume builders and very standard. mulch and sand etc which do not last.

5. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

The Easy Living range is new, its smaller and cheaper but still all the same quality and rather high spec for that end of the market....it suits investors, worth a look.

6. Natedog

W
    What range and designs were you looking at?

7. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

The T range Sacramento 27. Unfortunately the only floorplan we like before moving to Affinity range (can't afford this!)

Has not include driveway, my 450mm eaves (estate said so), stone benchtops everywhere (promo only for kitchen), laminate flooring, 9 ft ceiling. evaporative cooling....

Sherridon - $5000 added to get me all the above. Their range can be quite cheap too.

Urban Edge - $7000 (current promo) but no driveway, heating and cooling which is sad, I like their luxury inclusions

Boutique homes ... no straight forward price.
    Porter Davis - never bothered to answer my email once I sent my questions

Last edited: 19th Nov, 2015
  8. Natedog

Did the Sacramento 31/29 not fit the block?

9. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

It does, but I can't have a pool on the side with the price increase. Sacramento 31 = no pool. Pricing for this largest plan would also makes me choose Urban Edge (Solander).

Hence the issue of PPOR vs. Investment. If it is the latter, I will fit the largest house with the most inclusions and the lowest price :p

Last edited: 19th Nov, 2015
  10. Natedog

Which estate are you building in?

11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yes..I have got a quote from them also.....the best value for money so far is Burbank followed by Dennis Familty...among the majors...

EN710 likes this.
  12. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Hey guys, what do you usually check when selecting a lot in an new Estate?

13. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Hi @Luca,

What precisely do you mean by "check" ?

I'd certainly want to turn up and look at it. If someone was already building something smack across the road with a horrid design or colourscheme, that's going to affect your place. If you live in the place you'll have to see their house every day. If you're not going to live in it, well someone still is (your tenants) and ugly new houses do affect the vibe and thus value in the street.

When you are physically in the street you may see things such as fencing if it's already in. Is it the absolute bare minimum fencing they've put in or have you got a higher fence? Or maybe it's colorbond? You can often also see the tradies the developer has hired on the job building other homes. You might observe sloppy approaches and think hmm not sure I want these people building my house. Or conversely you might decide to strike up a conversation with them and make arrangements such as beer in exchange for upgrading all powerpoints to double powerpoints or something.

I'd also want to see documentation regarding existing or planned easements etc.

14. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Thanks Jacqui, I was also thinking about other factors e.g. orientation, park facing, but maybe in a new development they are not so important.

15. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Hi @Luca

Yes they'll be important things too. Orientation (eg north-facing etc) could be determined on plans but it's nice to see it in person also.

Another thing that's handy to know is the slope of the block. On a normal block you won't be trying to do a construction of another dwelling in the backyard or anything, but the slope of the land will have an impact on landscaping options and so on.

16. sofman

sofman Active Member

Hello do these guys also do town houses or apartments?

17. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

@JacM thanks for the tips

Considering the titling on these new estates usually takes a lot, is there any chance to sign a contract with a builder even if the construction starts after one year?

18. melbournian

buy the land and wait for the specials from the volume builders - 1+ year is good enough time to shop and work out the best deals. No spec or custom builder can come in cheaper than a volume builder in my experience.

JacM likes this.
  19. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Good, I guess it is important a correct estimation on buy+build / buy&rent ASAP. I think buy&build as IP it is a must being under 350k.