VIC IP in VIC

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Jonty, 14th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jonty

Jonty Member

Hello Everyone,

I have put the holding deposit on 2 lots (294m2 and 400m2) in one of the south western suburbs (werribee) in Melb. I intent to keep 1 and give the other one back to the developer and get my deposit back. One of the reasons behind it is, I am from Syd and do not know how much does it cost to build a house in that part of Melb.

I intend to build a single storey house or a double storey (4,2,2) on one of the above lots. I am looking for a value for money builder.

How much will it cost me to build my house? I just want the standard inclusions and nothing flash.

Any good (value for money) builders, you know off, who build in the area?

Pls help.

Thanks in advance.

Jonty.

2. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

May I ask why you have bought 2 parcels of land with a plan to build but do not know the overall cost of the project etc?

Tekoz, TheGreenLeaf and Terry_w like this.
  3. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Maybe some due diligence before buying next time.../anyway

Single story will be much cheaper.

You should get a single 4/2/2 on the smaller side, good for 400m block, for under 200k including site costs, extras you need (floor coverings etc) and a couple to make it nicer.

Burbank, Simmonds, Dennis family homes, are cheap ones that spring to mind. If its a new estate call up the local sales guy, mention the estate and lot number and they'll already know what they can site on each.

Width and depth of the block will restrict your options as will setbacks and easements.

Good luck and make those calls asap so you know what you're in for. Or pull out of both until you do your reading.

4. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@Jonty

Budget $200K at max for project home builders.

5. Jonty

Jonty Member

I bought 2 because, I wasnt sure about the cost of the building. If the cost for double storey house was high, I will keep the bigger lot and built single storey and if not then vise versa. I am going to get the holding deposit back anyways for the lot I dont want to keep.

Thanks for your reply.

6. Jonty

Jonty Member

I looked at the Project home builders - It seems like the display homes.

Any builder in particular, you think is good??

As I am from Sydney, I will not be able to go there every week and inspect.

I intend a 'turn key' package, which includes fencing and letter box as well.

Any suggessions??

7. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

http://www.mycompletepackage.com.au/ Dean is the person to speak to. I have been working alongside him for a number of years. He specializes in turn key packages. He may also be able to source better land for you.

8. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

9. Jonty

Jonty Member

Thanks Tobe. Do you know how much does it cost for a 4,2,2 (Single storey and double storey)?

Also about the above builders, do you have any good / Bad experience??

Any other builders.. Options are always good!!

Thanks in advance.

10. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Not sure on cost. I've had lots of experience with this builder, we have worked together for the past 8 years or so. Initially we both worked for a large volume builder, and we have kept in touch and worked together since. He knows what he is doing, and is service focussed.

11. Jonty

Jonty Member

Thanks Beelzebub. The construction for 8 homes seems to be in my price range but they do not have any 2 storey plans for my lot ie (12.5 m width).

Any other similar price range builders?

I am not looking for the cheapest builders but a value for money builders.

But you can always give me the builders names and I will enquire from there on.

shorty likes this.
  12. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

if you building in the west especially tarneit and werribee - it is different from building in the east side of melbourne. The soil there is highly reactive (and you need to specify the slab to be a full raft slab as opposed to a waffle slab) to avoid issues later in the future (cracking walls etc). it is a known issue. 2nd wouldn't build any double storey in that area - the numbers wouldn't add up. just get one of those volume builders (dennis family homes) or something 99K + site costs when they have specials

13. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

Hi Jonty,

Which land estate have you purchased in?

Each estate can have different design guidelines that can vary the cost also.

14. Natedog

Have to disagree and clarify the above.

Whether its a waffle or a raft foundation is irrelevant.

You can't "specify" a slab design, an engineer will specify exactly what is required.....

As long as the foundation is designed specifically for the proposed structure based on soil conditions for the particular site it's going on, it doesn't matter if its raft or waffle or stumps or whatever.

As long as you use a builder that does things "right"

dan_89 and JacM like this.
  15. Dumbo

Dumbo Active Member

Hi, a friend of mine might be able to help you. She's runs a business that helps people in your exact position and she's brilliant ( and located in melbourne) http://www.ninedots.com.au/

16. Johann_

Johann_ Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Before you start talking to builders, Just make sure you contract does not state which builder you have to use. There are some land sites in Melbourne where you can use certain builders and the type of home too.

Its just as simply as buying a block of land any building anything on it.

17. Pixie

Pixie Active Member

West side soil is highly reactive and may/should require more engineer solution.. more costs ...

West side properties are a bit of a pain for this reason. (for me anyway!)

18. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

thanks nate - you will find many builders (volume builders) will specify as waffle slab (with foam) as it is cheaper i understand there is a soil report but there were make it a way where a waffle slab will pass based on the soil report. And after the cracks appear - the builder can then say it is lack of the owners upkeep on landscaping. You can google the various issues or recent court cases in the west(i can't remember but there was one where an owner won against a volume builder for a full knock down or rebuild of the house). If it wasn't an issue then why all the cases of west builds appearing in the tribunals. Bear in mind pt cook , williams landing and tarneit were all swamp lands one time ago.

19. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Hamlyn
    Dennis Family
    Long Island
    Burbank
    Sherridon (Mid - low range. I built with them)
    8 Homes
    Home Buyer's Centre (lower end)
    Porter Davis
    Metricon
    Carlisle
    Henley
    JG Gardiner
    Botique (upper end I think)
    Urban Edge (upper end)
    Waterston
    Hotondo
    Simmonds
    Cavalier Homes
    Signature Homes
    Geelong Homes?

I still feel like I'm forgetting some. But out of that list hopefully you can find a plan that suits

Soul likes this.
  20. Natedog

There's
    There has only been one case where Metricon was ordered to pay the full replacement cost of the dwelling....that's the one I think you are referring to.

You can have a poor raft design or a poor waffle design.....it's not whether its a waffle or raft that's the issue....it's that the slab has been under engineered that's the issue.

It all comes back to the engineers slab design for the specific soil type.

Waffles have had some negative press in the media, but more sensationalism than anything else.

KayTea and Beelzebub like this.