VIC IP in Reservoir

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by LuisCente, 27th Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LuisCente

LuisCente Well-Known Member

Hello Property Chatters,

What areas would you say are the best pockets within Reservoir and which areas would you describe as no go areas.

I've had some insights from locals by asking on the Facebook Community group, but at the same time would like the educated opinion of property investors without the bias that a local can have for their own area. Out of the insights I have created a marked up map and would like your opinions. The area to be considered as good to buy is the one within the blue perimeter.

I am looking to some other suburbs too around different areas of the NW and NE, for ease of getting the comments of those that area knowledgeable in the areas and to have more reach I would create different post for the different areas.

All your advice, knowledge and experienced comments are highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Hamish84

Hamish84 Well-Known Member

I think your advice might be very much off the mark. Oakhill Estate is the fancy part.

Silverson likes this.
  3. LuisCente

Hi @Hamish84 I will live in it for one year and then move out and convert it to IP.

Yes I know is the fancy part, and what I am trying to determine is the areas to don't touch. I am of the view that in an ideal word if you could buy the worst property in the fancier part of a suburb you are always going to be better off than buying the best property in the worst part of the suburb.

Would love if you can elaborate a bit more on your comment.

Thanks.

4. Hamish84

Hamish84 Well-Known Member

Sorry, it really sounds like you’ve not done much research and are relying on others to do your homework.

It also doesn’t sound like you know what you want and are hoping someone will make a decision for you.

5. LuisCente

Posting here and asking for advice and comments is in part doing the homework I think.

But anyways, that's me. Thanks for your contribution, highly appreciated!! :)

Kaykay79 likes this.
  6. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Seriously!?
    With the same cut and paste comment on each one too!

Ubuntu, Scott No Mates and Hamish84 like this.
  7. LuisCente

Hi @Truly Exotic I tried to explain the reason why I created different ones. Thought the new community could benefit from it and could get better reach for those with specific are knowledge to comment in one post instead of just scrolling down because they do not know an specific area.

For example @The Y-man could just go to the Epping or mill park post and give us his insights there, and someone with knowledge of Greensborough could go to the other post.

Don't see the need of creating a new whole format for each post if I am actually asking a similar question.

But, anyways, thanks for your contribution!

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Maybe try one post:

Fawkner, Epping, Reservoir, Lalor etc - got NFI :D

Truly Exotic likes this.
  9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Wait - you can't bundle Mill Park and Bundoora together!! :eek:

The Y-man

LuisCente likes this.
  10. LuisCente

They are neighbors, aren't they? LOL

11. Scott No Mates

Why not? They're all in Melbourne a small town south of Canberra.

12. The Y-man

Nice short answer.

The longer version:

Neighbouring suburbs does not mean similar markets. So much to the distress of @Truly Exotic you will need a separate thread for each :D:D:D

To be more accurate: markets are determines by physical infrastructure and boundaries; NOT by postcode.

Unfortunately market research is done by postcode (because it's easier).

Bundy NORTH of the freeway is similar to M-Park SOUTH of Centenary Dve.

Once you got North of Centenary, you are closer in character to Sth Morang and the Eastern edge of Epping.

Bundy SOUTH of the freeway is more like Watsonia minus the rail, and the corner of G-borough south of Grimshaw, east of the shopping centre..

The Y-man

LuisCente, Truly Exotic and Hamish84 like this.
  13. Scott No Mates

I'll for better next time. :oops:

14. LuisCente

Amazing! I was looking in the map and What you are saying makes complete sense, apart from that I think you meant South of Grimshaw, west of shopping centre at the end.

Which of those "separate markets" would you consider better? from your experience, are they pretty different in prices?

15. The Y-man

Ooops - yeah WEST of shops!! :p

Oddly, west of G-Borough Shops NORTH of Grimshaw (and all the east side of G-Borough) is hilly as hell and more like St H, Briar, Monty and Eltham.

The Y-man

16. The Y-man

I am a huuuuge fan of trains and buses but NOT trams (other than in the CBD)

So that leaves
    • G-Borough near shopping centre - nice area but damn expensive, and I prefer flat ground
    • Watsonia near stn - still damn expensive unless directly under powerlines (i.e. out of the question)
    • Northern half of MPk / Sth Morang near Sth Morang stn - good affordability, has Westfield PV SC - I like it and I have a villa unit in the area (but should have bought a house when I could have). IMHO still headroom for price. This also leads on to a similar market in Epping central near Epping station and Pac Epping SC which is undergoing major development (not "re"development - literally "greenfield" - as fields are becoming commercial buildings, hotels and medical facilties). My Lalor unit is on the southern fringe of this commercial dev (I should've bought Epping central - was/is same price).

The Y-man

17. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

Your highlighted map has literally left out the best part of Reservoir and included the least desirable.
    Best part without a doubt is the area north of Tyler street and South of Broadway then east of High Street and west of Bolderwood Pde.

Seemah likes this.
  18. willister

willister Well-Known Member

My 2c on my own experience:

Looked and studied this area pretty hard back in 2017 (previous peak). I always felt the square which borders Broadway to the North, Northernhay/Rubicon to the South, High St to the West and Bolderwood Parade to the East was what suited me IMHO. This isn't marked within your map though...? So we were keen on this 700m2 block, sold high 800s, we budgeted 700-750 so that was way out of reach. According to estimates today its worth low 900s at best. If you calculate the oncosts required - stamp duty and all, it's roughly $9XXk so a very small loss/gain at best.

Back to the map: Anything North of Edwardes is near a powerline IIRC. North of Broadway is pretty run down and there is a lot of commission housing??

The Y-man and JL1 like this.
  19. JL1

JL1 Well-Known Member

I've lived in a few parts of Rezza over the years, here's my thoughts:
    • Summerhill obviously nicer part
    • North of Broadway around the leisure centre is rough (lived on Evans, found a meth pipe in my front yard and friends had parts stolen off their cars street parked overnight)
    • Further north (of McMahon) is nicer, but too far east has limited transport options or walking distance amenities
    • East of high I've always found to be nice, but the powerlines are a consideration
    My resounding opinion on Rezza though is that its a terrible place to invest for the simple reason that too many townhouses are being built:
    • the family character is dead in most parts, and its not a place that comes to mind for many people when they think "where do i want to raise a family?". Expect those types of buyers to be looking towards Bundoora or even Mill Park. People looking to live in Rezza are doing so for price and convenience. For proximity to the city, its the cheapest non-apartment accommodation a renter will find
    • Rezza doesnt lend itself to the lifestyle changes people are seeking due to COVID. Rather than spend $600k on a 2 bed townhouse, i expect more buyers will be taking that money to fringe suburbs to get more space
    • The rental market has been hammered by townhouse supply. in 2017/18 it was almost impossible to find a rental under $400/week, and if you did it would be old and unrenovated, e.g. this for 390/wk, snapped up in 8 days. Go have a look now at options for that kind of money, and how much longer they're hanging around for...
    • Rental listings are still climbing and prices are still falling. I expect that by Autumn there will be newer townhouses going for 350/week
    Rezza's value was owning the land at the start of the townhouse boom. IMO its time has come and passed - I dont see any scope to out-perform the market.

Elives, LuisCente and The Y-man like this.
  20. LuisCente

Amazing insides from everyone. I'll come back to it after work to have a more detailed look of your comments and my map and respond maybe with more questions LOL.

The map was made out of the comments I got from the locals in that group I mentioned and some driving around, however I am far from deep in knowledge in the area, so I take your comments as more informed than what I have considering you have local knowledge of the area.